Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power Feeder Mounting on a Shaper.

Mine is mounted back right, for two reasons. First and foremost, dimensionally it works better in that location. Second, the shaper controls are on the back left side precluding mounting there. Love it.

I drilled and tapped the top of the shaper in order to bolt it directly down. Have run thousands of linear feet through it w/o any problems.

IMG_5766.jpg

Hi, I have that feeder, and it was mounted on the left of my shaper.

If you PM me I'll send you a manual for it, if you don't already have one.

The manual prohibits mounting on the riht of the shaper.................regards, Rod.

Scott
    Thank you, and you're right, all of the locking mechanisms are on the right side of the feeder. I hadn't really noticed that. I'll try it there also.

Rod
    I have the original manual from Comatic, but it's pretty bad. It simultaneously refers to the installation, and use, of the feeder on three machines. Table saw, jointer, and shaper. It's not always clear which machine it is referring to either. In the manual I have, every drawing shows it mounted back left though. I'll still PM you for your manual if that's okay?
    I've actually been using the online Grizzly Manual for the G4179 more. It's an identical machine, and that manual is much more clearly written.

Right now I'm at a pause with the installation.
    I've temporarily mounted (clamped) it to the shaper and was testing it out, setting the angle of feed, and pressure, when the motor run capacitor decided it was time to "blow". So I'm waiting for a $6.00, 25uf, 250WVAC, capacitor right now. It should be here in the next day or so. I ordered the motor start capacitor at the time. If one was ready to blow, the other is probably not far behind. I probably would have replaced both of them anyway when I actually started using it.
    I also have an email back from Western Roller offering two options for wheel/tire/roller replacement:
    The first is an all metal hub with replaceable tires, but the cost is fairly high. A little over $200.00 per wheel. The second is a urethane hub with a non replaceable tire. These are $38.00 each. Durometer is 70 on both.
    I'm going with Option 2. I'll never put enough material through this shaper to even come close to having to worry about wearing out the tires/rollers, which would be one of the benefit of option 1,and the other being the ability to change durometer for different materials I guess??
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-11-2018 at 7:06 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Unless you are using a back fence, then it's reversed as far as a loose feeder pulling into the cutter
    A back fence?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    A back fence?
    same as a outboard fence.
    20181128_214044.jpg

Im trying to make sense of the noga-ish mag base indicator against the inboard fence with a back fence?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Im trying to make sense of the noga-ish mag base indicator against the inboard fence with a back fence?
    Wait, realize thats actually the back fence.. but how to you read the indicator?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Wait, realize thats actually the back fence.. but how to you read the indicator?
    Just like moving a table saw fence with a indicator against it, though in this case it isn't a 1 for 1 reading as one side pivots. I was actually trying to track down some inconsistencies in my setup in the pic. I found the fence was slipping .005 to .010" under the force of the feeder.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 12-11-2018 at 5:45 PM.