Thread: LED Shop Lights...Again?

LED Shop Lights...Again?

Hi,

I just bought off eBay a box of 25 4’ LED Tubes for $112 delivered. These are the type that require rewiring of the fixture to bypass the ballast and put 110 volts directly on the tube pins. Easy enough to do.

These were shipped from the US and arrived within a week of being ordered, or faster. From Tennessee I think, but could be wrong about the state.

Gave a couple to my son in law to try, and used the rest. Still needed more so ordered another 25. This time $108 for 25 delivered.

These are the ones that have the clear lens, so the light is focused downwards. Much brighter than the old standard tubes. I actually feel like I need my baseball cap now while in the shop!

Anyway, if you have old fixtures and need good light in your workshop or garage, hard to beat current prices. My SIL just ordered 25 after trying the ones I gave him.

I suppose this is just a heads up for those wanting to upgrade but waiting for the right price. Sometimes eBay is your friend...

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 12-05-2018 at 7:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Costco has the 19.99 special now on what look like twin tube fluorescent shop lights but they are LED. They can be daisy chained end to end.
    Bill D.

I just installed a couple of the lights Bill D referred to. Very east and bright! only downside is that you can't replace the bulbs. Once they go, you have t throw out the whole picture and by a new one.

I have some of those Costco fixtures.

But for less than $4.50 per tube I much prefer converting my existing fixtures. And the tubes I bought put more light where I want it as well.

As as mentioned above, the negative of the Costco ( And other similar fixtures) is that if a bulb fails, the fixture is likely toast. Now that I have converted the old standard style ones, I wish I had less of the Costco ones, which I think I bought on sale for about $15 ea, but don’t remember exactly. Then again, if they last close to the claimed life expectancy, it’s a moot point, as they will likely outlast me...

I've been replacing the fixtures in my shop but at this price I think I'll give these a try!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    I have 20 4' Home Depot fixtures. Of the 20, 5 failed within a month and HD took them back. Since then, they have been great. They were $40 each. I knew the price would come down. Sigh....

I love the daisy chain feature. In my old shop, I had 20 twin tube flourescents and about as many outlets (bad planning). This time, I think I have 4 or 5 outlets.

The other benefit is that each fixture is 35 watts. I have them all on on 15A circuit with one switch. In my old shop, I had 4 switches (more bad planning). AND the light is way better.

Was at Costco today and noticed they have the Plug and Play LED tubes on sale at $12.99 for two. Another option for those with fixtures they want to upgrade.

With sales tax almost twice the price of the ebay tubes, but it only takes a minute to make the change... In the past I have installed a dozen or so of these type tubes and have no complaints.

I still like the ebay tubes better though, for applications where one wants the light directed mostly downwards.

Bill

I replaced the bulbs in my 4' troffer lights with ebay lights, except for the first one which I replaced with Menards bulbs. So far they work great, and I can see better now. Just wish I could give up the reading glasses.

I have at least 10 of the Costco fixtures in my shop, and six or eight in the garage. I bought five more than I needed for the garage (I ended up not needing the additional fixtures) so I have five spares if one of the fixtures dies. So far after nearly two years, no problems at all with them.

Thank you Bill!!! I spent and hour and a half in my shop tonight enjoying some Def Leppard on my Pandora and converting 11 fixtures using these bulbs. Wow! What a difference! Incredibly easy and great bang for the buck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I changed mine over to led, my brother after seeing mine changed his. He is an electrician and he did some research on it. He said he found info that it could be a fire hazard. Because of the tombstones having 120 volts that they may not handle. So he fused his with 1 amp fuses. I bought the fuse holder and fuse, but have not put them in yet. Has anyone heard this before?

Quote Originally Posted by paul dyar View Post
    I changed mine over to led, my brother after seeing mine changed his. He is an electrician and he did some research on it. He said he found info that it could be a fire hazard. Because of the tombstones having 120 volts that they may not handle. So he fused his with 1 amp fuses. I bought the fuse holder and fuse, but have not put them in yet. Has anyone heard this before?
    Fun fact: the tombstones in fluorescent lights get about 500-600 volts from the ballast at startup.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Menards has 2 Link-able Smart Electrician® 3500 Lumens 46" LED Shop Light 2-Pack on sale this week for $29.99 and $19.99 after rebate. Dan