Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a good deal?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Excellent advice Jim! I totally agree on all counts.
    Just an FYI-there is a person over on WoodCentral Handtool forum that was looking for info and pics of a Stanley 55 box and I noticed you have what appears to be an original. You might be able to help him as you so often do here.

And I also noticed that 2 of your hammers are facing the wrong way-the ball pein and small claw in the middle have their flat faces to the right while the rest face left. Sorry, just my OCD showing. ;-) I love the photos of a working shop that is nicely organized.

Hi Don,

The person over on WoodCentral may have also sought the images of the #55 box here on SMC. More of my time than should be is spent in front of my computer. Joining another forum would likely keep me away from the shop even more.

The hammers change direction to fit in less space. The piece of scrap was a touch short to turn them around. It also kind of tingles my CDO (there the letters are in the right order) that they do not align, but it works.

You might change your mind about my shop being organized if you ever see it in person. What saves me is being able to remember where everything is. When my residence was a small apartment with stacks of books, magazines and other clutter a friend was visiting and wondered if a magazine he loaned me was ready to be returned. It was retrieved from the middle of a stack of other magazines and handed to him. He was a bit shocked and said, "this isn't a mess, it is a highly complex storage system."

My biggest problem with loosing track of something that hasn't been used for a while is if previously it was "moved to a better place." Now my rule on moving something like this is it gets moved to the first place my memory told me to look for it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Kyle,

That plane is made to put a tongue on a thick piece of lumber used for flooring. Since they got heavy use, and the lumber not all the time was planed, it was plated as you can see in the picture. If you made a blade, it would work great for it's intended purpose, if you had a need to put a tongue on a piece of 6/4 lumber. The groove could be easily plowed with another plane. I agree, looks like the threads that were missing got busted up from not being protected inside the plane body and likely would not impair the use of the plane.

These types of planes are not rare, and frankly, that one is in better condition than most. Used to live up your way north of Watertown. That can be a tough area to look for old tools.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Kyle,

That plane is made to put a tongue on a thick piece of lumber used for flooring. Since they got heavy use, and the lumber not all the time was planed, it was plated as you can see in the picture. If you made a blade, it would work great for it's intended purpose, if you had a need to put a tongue on a piece of 6/4 lumber. The groove could be easily plowed with another plane. I agree, looks like the threads that were missing got busted up from not being protected inside the plane body and likely would not impair the use of the plane.

These types of planes are not rare, and frankly, that one is in better condition than most. Used to live up your way north of Watertown. That can be a tough area to look for old tools.

Pete
    You got me curious now. I am trying to find out some info on this guy and nothing is coming up under no. 81 plow plane. You can see that stamped in on the back in the picture with the price tag.

It's not a plow plane which might be part of the problem. One of the great virtues of being a Mid West Tool Collector Member is, every year they send you a catalog reprint from some long out of business company or hardware store. Over 25 years, you get to have quite a collection. Since you are in NY, the first one I looked at was a reprint of the Auburn Tool Company from 1869. Attached you can see the No 81 match plane. Came with a double iron and was plated for $.25 more than the No 80. Note that they were sold as a set, the plane to cut the tongue and the groove. Surprised there is not a stamp on the toe which indicates it was made by Auburn. They used prison labor for much of their work force over the years.

Hope this helps...consider joining the MWTCA at www.mwtca.org! Best $25 you will ever spend if you enjoy old tools.

IMG_3540.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pete Taran; 12-07-2018 at 9:50 AM.