This may not be the best forum for this but it seems like both a workshop question and a finishing question. What do other do about finishing in the winter? I live in the mid-Atlantic, where it is currently mid-30s and will be for the foreseeable future. I have a few projects I'm finishing for the holidays that encompass a variety of finishes (spray paint, spray poly, brush on poly, etc). My shop is in a full unfinished basement, which has two small windows, a outside door and the gas furnace. I also have an attached garage. When the temperature is above 50, I try to do any volatile finishes either in the garage with the door open or possibly in the basement shop with a small fan in a window to move air. The problem is, at this time of year, its too cold in the garage (insulated but not heated) as it's usually below 50, which is usually at the bottom of the range on the instructions for most finishes. If I use the basement, keeping the windows and door open will be like trying to heat the outside to some degree but not opening them means poor ventilation and fumes getting into the house. Case in point, I used a contact cement in the basement a few years ago and thought I'd give my wife and myself brain damage from the odor.

Eventually, I'm going to do some degree of renovation to the shop and I may be able to isolate the furnace from the work area and add some degree of ventilation. I currently do not have a dedicated dust collection and air cleaning system but those are on the agenda, too. Any suggestions of how others deal with related issues?