Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Project: TS Blade Storage - quick and dirty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Jim - I like this idea and will be incorporating it into my shop storage planning.

Seems like a 1.5" to 2" hole in the bottom of the drawers would make the blades even easier to remove. No?
    That's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Jim - I like this idea and will be incorporating it into my shop storage planning.

Seems like a 1.5" to 2" hole in the bottom of the drawers would make the blades even easier to remove. No?
    Yes, that's actually a good idea and removes some risk for trying to lift the edge of a sharp blade ...I may retrofit for that. Thanks for the suggestion!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very Nice. I'm going to do this and add a few deeper drawers for Bandsaw blades. Thanks for sharing.

Will a CNC fit down the chimney?? i have been exceptionally good this year!

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Will a CNC fit down the chimney?? i have been exceptionally good this year!
    Santa delivers CNC machines via alternative entries, the same way that vehicles and other large requests are handled. He leaves the chimney for toys and candy.

But seriously, the CNC has been the best tool I've ever purchased relative to mental stimulation and repeatability. Even if my business doesn't pan out (I bought a larger machine) that thang is going to give me many years of happiness!
    --

Wow, nice job!

But I must admit the first thought I had when seeing all those drawers was...

Man, Jim has a lot of blades!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Wow, nice job!

But I must admit the first thought I had when seeing all those drawers was...

Man, Jim has a lot of blades!
    Not really. I have two 12" WW-II 48T blades with one on the saw, one 12" 80t blade that came with the saw, my original 12" miter saw blade as a backup, a 10" WW-II 20T ripping blade and a couple of old spare blades for my "vintage" 7 1/4" circular saw. I actually do have two 10" WW-II 40T blades that I will likely be selling after I decide whether or not to sharpen them first. That said, I build the drawer unit to house 8 blades just because that number seemed reasonable.
    --

Blog Entries
    Nice job Jim. I notice you have two fairly flat wrenches in your first photo. If you have the space, I would suggest adding a drawer for the blade changing wrenches in your blade storage bin, then you would always know where they were when you change a blade.

I keep thinking of building one for my shop to free up some wall space and cut down walking distance when making blade changes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Jim B.: nice design and execution!

Keep telling myself that I should the same, but my "free" wall space is almost nonexistent. My blades are in the Forrest sharpening shipping containers and a supply of the old Sears plastic holders, similar to those now sold by Infinity -- https://www.infinitytools.com/saw-blade-protectors

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Nice job Jim. I notice you have two fairly flat wrenches in your first photo. If you have the space, I would suggest adding a drawer for the blade changing wrenches in your blade storage bin, then you would always know where they were when you change a blade.
    Lee, those wrenches have nothing to do with the table saw/slider. Those are the ER25 wrenches for the CNC's spindle collet and they stay right there where I used them "very frequently" to change bits on the spindle.
    --