Thread: Magnetic locking mechanisms

Magnetic locking mechanisms

Hi Guys. I'm looking for ideas for using magnets to secure lids on small boxes. I'm making Magic card deck boxes for 60 and 100 card decks and would like to come up with some unique and interesting ways to secure the lids. I have some ideas but I know with the wealth of ingenuity and talent here that there may be some great ideas that I would never think of.
    Thanks for any considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Flinchum View Post
    Hi Guys. I'm looking for ideas for using magnets to secure lids on small boxes. I'm making Magic card deck boxes for 60 and 100 card decks and would like to come up with some unique and interesting ways to secure the lids. I have some ideas but I know with the wealth of ingenuity and talent here that there may be some great ideas that I would never think of.
    Thanks for any considerations.
    Countersink the magnet in the wood and hot glue it in place then veneer over top. Neodymium magnets (rare earth) are the strongest and what I would suggest to use.

Cool. Thank you.

If you choose to use a rare earth magnet you can make it even stronger by putting it in a steel cup. These are often included with the magnets. The steel cup guides the magnetic flow lines, increasing the strength of the magnetic field.

Blog Entries
    Drill a blind hole and put a loose fitting metal cylinder in it that so it drops int a matching hole and will block the drawer from opening. It can be withdrawn with a magnet or by turning the box over.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute