Thread: Looking for help with Hammer jointer fence

Looking for help with Hammer jointer fence

About 2 years ago I bought a Hammer C3-41 combination made in 1999.

I have greatly enjoyed the transition except for the fence. It had the one 60 inch triangular fence for both table saw and jointer. I solved the table saw fence installing a Unifence. I'm still not happy with the triangular fence on the jointer and would like to change.

My two options are buy a current Hammer jointer fence and see if it would work or fabricate something.

Have any of you Hammer owners tried a different fence? Would any of you with the current fence be able to post pictures showing the fence and how it is attached to the jointer.

Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Dan

I have an A3-31 from 2000. I'm pretty sure the jointer fence part of it is like yours. At any rate, the fence is a big triangular aluminum extrusion, although it is shorter than yours. The fence works well for me. I haven't ever even considered changing it out.
    I can post pics about its mounting scheme, but maybe I'd do better if I knew what you're looking for. What problems are you having?

Dan, your fence appears to be different from the fence on the A3-31 ...

... and also the fence on the K3 slider (shown here with a Wixey) ...

The K3 fence is excellent (it is essentially the same fence attached to the N4400 bandsaw). Can this be fitted to yours?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you for the replies. Yes Jamie I believe we have the same fence. Do you use the same fence for the saw and jointer? Same question for Derek.

I did not like that idea so much and went with the Unifence for the saw and triangular Hammer fence for the jointer.

Derek, from your picture I see the new fence has a simple tube as the rail. It also looks very much like a Unifence. It does look like it might work for me. I've attached a picture of my jointer fence and rail extrusion.

20181205_203306.jpg

To toss some more options into the mix, here are 2 different fences I have on my C3-31

The tall one was "stock"; the short one I bought separately for use with the saw.

I'm surprised the Unisaw-style fence was adaptable to the C3-41, because doesn't the rail it rides on need to swing down when you use the planer (it's mounted to the liftable jointer table, yes?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan,

Yes the Unifence rail is mounted to the outfeed end of the jointer . When I plane it swings down and I take the crank handle off the saw

Your fence on right of the picture looks to be just the ticket. The extrusion looks the same as mine. Do you move it to your infeed end when you joint?

Maybe I can buy that fence from Felder.

Thanks.

Yes, the "tall" fence can be used either on the saw, or moved to the jointer infeed. It's really more optimized for jointing, given the height and length - I actually bought the shorter one because it's a bit more optimized for sawing (but not significantly better).

It's a nice fence. It can be easily pulled forward/back; the 0* angle stop has a nice eccentric screw to adjust its position perfectly; and the clamping screw lets you "drop" the fence down onto the rail (rather than needing to slide it onto the end of the rail).

I'm sure Felder can sell you one - it's the stock fence for the C3-31. I can't find it on the website, but I'm sure if you contact them.

Good luck!

Thanks Dan, with your information I am waiting on Felder support for pricing.
    Dan

Here is a pic of a Hammer A3-31 jointer-planer built in 1999. I believe it is nearly the same as the jointer-planer section of the OP's C3 machine, which was built in the same year. As you can see, this first generation of Hammer machines has a fence which is different from later Hammers.
    A331jointer.jpg

Here is a close-up of how the fence is mounted, which is what the OP originally asked about.
    jointerfencedetail.jpg