Thread: Materials Sourcing

Materials Sourcing

Hello, I am a Game Token manufacturer and I am always looking for more substrates I can use in my production.

I use a Trotec Speedy 100 and a Trotec Speedy 400.

I primarily cut MDF, Alder, and Acrylic at 1/8" thickness.

I am interested in using card stocks that are thinner like Chip Board and thinner but I am not sure if Chip Board works and also I cannot find a good source for those materials.

Additionally I would like to fin Acrylic in sheets thinner than 1/16" if possible to test with as well but my Acrylic supplier does not seem to carry such things.

Is there a good sources for interesting bendable substrates I can cut in my lasers?

My next move is to try to get the card stocks from a paper supplier but I was worried standard card stocks were not laser safe, so if anyone has experience with that as well, I would appreciate any advice.

I buy .030" material from Johnson's Plastics. You can get chipboard at Uline but I don't recall the thicknesses. I've never thought Uline had good prices on anything but they always seem to have the inventory.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Well, Trotec just sent me email with list of their 'new' thick paper. Don't know how thick, but i'd check with them too.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Awesome I definitely will!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Brooks View Post
    Hello, I am a Game Token manufacturer and I am always looking for more substrates I can use in my production.

Additionally I would like to fin Acrylic in sheets thinner than 1/16" if possible to test with as well but my Acrylic supplier does not seem to carry such things.

Is there a good sources for interesting bendable substrates I can cut in my lasers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I buy .030" material from Johnson's Plastics. You can get chipboard at Uline but I don't recall the thicknesses. I've never thought Uline had good prices on anything but they always seem to have the inventory.
    Good luck finding acrylic thinner than .060". Mike - are you referring to acrylic at .030" above? Need to look into that. I have only found polycarbonate and PET thinner than .060. Can't find anything optically clear in .040" - too thin for acrylic, too thick for PET and PC.

I sometimes laminate .010" PET to itself with dichroic film texture cores for wild FX, but its pricey. Lasers great though. Do you need rigid Nigel? My stuff bends like a credit card.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Hello Nigel, I build Homebuilt aircraft and use a lot of very thin plywood. Aircraft Spruce and Supply in Tustin, CA. sell avariety of thin materials that can be used in many different craft and manufacturing projects. They have a very fine catalog, kinda pricey but worth the cost if you need those hard to find things.

Also, some sign material suppliers have some thin lexan and acrylics.

I was referring to laminated acrylic.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

9. Trotec in canada has lots of thin acrylics, most of it is dual layer stuff though.

Their paper prices are insane though. I have a stack of 1/8" and 1/16" chipboard I bought from an industrial paper supplier. I think a 40x60 cost me $5 canadian? really cheap IMO