Thread: Triton Router vs Festool for use with tracks

Triton Router vs Festool for use with tracks

I'm hoping some folks here have experience with the Triton routers and tracks? I would like a router to use with a track (I have a Makita track saw and tracks) and I'm considering the Triton units and a Festool 1400. The track setup for the Triton looks better, but I'm not sure about the dust collection with it. The Festool has great dust collection and is supposed to be a great router, but I've read some reviews where people don't like the small foot that is used when you route with the track.

Maybe the smartest thing is to make a simple dato jig to use with a router and use that? Though, I would still like something with decent dc. The Ryobi and Craftsman I have now don't have any.

I have a Festool 1400 router, and I have Festool tracks which I mostly use with their track saw. I use the router a lot, but only very rarely with a track. I just don't find I'm trying to do operations which would call for the track.

Makita makes a track attachment for it's routers, I'm assuming you don't want the Makita?

I would go with the better dust collection option.

Here's an alternative that has worked very well. A simple adapter plate allows both my Bosch Colt and Bosch 1618 with dust collection to be used on a Festool track. I briefly looked at the Festool router and quickly decided that it wasn't for me for a number of reasons. I was able to get both Bosch routers, multiple bases and dust collection accessories for less than the cost of the Festool 1400. So far they have worked very well and I do like track guided routing for precision dados and slots.

Bosch Colt with DC on Festool Track.jpg

Bosch 1618 on Festool Track.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

The reason I like the Festool routers is that they mark the center of the bit on each side of the router base. That allows you to center the bit on the dado or groove or other cut rather than trying to locate where the edge of the bit will cut. I have used the 1400 on the track several times, it works extremely well, and is one of my favorite features of the router.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Zara View Post
    Makita makes a track attachment for it's routers, I'm assuming you don't want the Makita?

I would go with the better dust collection option.
    I have the Makita adapter and have used it with a Ryobi router (it's the only other that I could find with the right rod spacing). I like the ability to do the dados but I want some dc. To make the Ryobi work, I had to add a peice of plexi to the bottom to even it with the guide rail. Works fairly well but it's a mess.

Makita isn't clear about their dust control options and I haven't been able to figure out what they really have. I'm not against it, but saw the Festool seems to have the best dust control, but he Triton is a lot cheaper and their sled for the router looks like a great solution instead of the Festool foot.

I'm not personally familiar with the Triton, but I have both the OF1400 and the OF1010. I've used the OF1400 with the track any number of times, both with an independent track for various operations as well as with the track on the MFT for cross dados. It works extremely well. If you have the Makita track already, I believe that the OF1400 with the track adapter should likely work with that track as I believe the Makita track is compatible with Festool tools based on previous discussions. (Check for sure)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the OF 1010 and OF 1400 and have used them both on the Festool guide rails with their respective guide adapters and the MicroFence guide rail interface. Both are great both ways, with the nod definitely going to the MicroFence route.

FWIW, DeWalt also has guide rails and a router interface for their routers.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Makita has dust collection accessories for all their routers.
    https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?eve...1758&from=tool

There is a dust collection port for Makita.

I just the other day used my cordless Makita trim router with the 195559-1 dust collector attached. (see link above posted by Peter)
    It worked flawlessly. Dust collection, with a 1/4" top bearing bit was excellent.

I believe the Makita track is compatible with Festool tools based on previous discussions.
    Correct. I use my 42" Festool track with my Makita cordless quite often.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I thought I would fill this thread in with what I purchased. I went to my local Woodcrafters and was underwhelmed with their knowledge of the OF1400. They also didn't have the accessories to use it on the track. I went to Rockler and was able to get the Triton 2 1/4 HP router and the track sled that goes with it. The guys there were very helpful and knowledgeable on the tool. I've experimented with 2 cabinets worth of dados and rabbits and it all works very well. The dust collection is good, but not great. It will be acceptable in the areas I'll use it. Time will tell how it all works, but I like it better than my old setup so far.