Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Added another to the collection

Added another to the collection

There are hundreds of companies that made woodworking machinery over the last 150+years. One in particular that I have a thing for, Bentel & Margedant from Hamilton, OH. They were in business from the late 1860s to the early 1900s, they developed one of the most popular machines of the day, the universal woodworker.

I currently own a 36" BS, 24" planer with their triangular head, two universal woodworkers, a TS and last but not least, this jointer. I had owned another Bentel jointer before but sold it foolishly.

This one has the factory feeder on it and is probably the only one left intact anywhere.

IMG_20181203_144112_215.jpg

IMG_20181204_133707_608.jpg

20181204_132839.jpg

That’s pretty sweet and appears to be in remarkable shape.

Do you use these often in your shop as primary equipment or collect/restore?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    That’s pretty sweet and appears to be in remarkable shape.

Do you use these often in your shop as primary equipment or collect/restore?
    My long term goal with the Bentel's is to get them set up for my personal/home shop. I do currently use several machines from the early 1900s in the millwork part of my shop. Sometimes things were best at what they do, a hundred years ago.

Wish I lived in an area where you could find vintage WW equipment. You have some cool stuff. Take that back, there was a shop that ran off a line shaft that sold in my home town about 45 years ago, when I was just out of school. That was when the lumberyard had an auction and sold out. That old equipment sold like it was gold plated.

That is totally awesome.

Very cool! So that's what Noah used to build the Ark? I'd love to see the universal woodworker and the others if you would post pics. I see why you like the machines. Looks very well engineered. And, well that old stuff is just classy when it's done right.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by marty fretheim View Post
    Very cool! So that's what Noah used to build the Ark? I'd love to see the universal woodworker and the others if you would post pics. I see why you like the machines. Looks very well engineered. And, well that old stuff is just classy when it's done right.

Marty
    I fell in love with the design of this Victorian era equipment. The designs are beautiful and look like pieces of art just sitting there.

The whole machine is cool, but the chain is interesting for sure too. Never seen one like that.

Awesome. Glad you saved it from the scrapyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Awesome. Glad you saved it from the scrapyard.
    It would have never been scrapped. My buddy had it for 30+ years. I was fortunate to be able to pry it out of his clutches.

Wired up the Bentel table saw today so I could see what it sounded like.

https://youtu.be/JhyyCyae39w

Thanks for sharing! Cool stuff!

-Mike

Darcy, are the bearings babbit and how fast do you think they and the flat belt can run? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Darcy, are the bearings babbit and how fast do you think they and the flat belt can run? Dave
    Yes they are. I could easily run it at 3600 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    The whole machine is cool, but the chain is interesting for sure too. Never seen one like that.
    That's called agg chain...