Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vise rehab?

Vise rehab?

While waiting on a can of varnish and some brushes to arrive.....
    Back story on the vise..
    IMAG0257.jpg
    This $10 "gem" came home from Tractor Fest 2015....cleaned it up...and added it to the end of my bench..
    vise install.jpg
    Covered the one jaw..
    screwed in place.jpg
    And a jaw to the moving part...even added a thicker jaw, with dog holes..
    IMAG0257.jpg
    Well...over the years of steady, hard use....
    IMG_6977 (640x480).jpg
    Seen better days. Plan is to replace all the lumber on this end....( next time through Menards, I will pick a few 2 x 8s from the cut-off bin)
    Need to remove the vise..and all the junky wood..
    IMG_6980 (640x480).jpg
    Will try to remove the two 3" screws on each end, and start with new...LAGGED into place. Then add a second layer...with a recess for the fixed jaw to nestle into.....moving jaw will also get a new "face"
    IMG_6982 (640x480).jpg
    And, add the new dogholes. Might be a decent weekend project?

Stay tuned

Steven,

Your vise looks like one that belonged to my Dad, a Craftsman 391.5191 7" vise. It is now setting on my tool cabinet waiting to be installed at some point in the future, and is in excellent shape.

Reading your posts and looking at the photos, it looks like the vise can do a lot, in spite of some reviews that describe it as a "light duty" vise. By the way you bought it right, on the auction site the median sold price (with shipping) is between $65 and $70.

I intend to use Dads vise as a face vise on my first bench. That first bench will not be as heavy duty as your bench, but will use up lumber that I already have, and will eventually be used for an assembly table, and for easy transport for routine carpentry work. I will not use the bench for heavy mortise chopping, or any heavy duty work. For most carpentry work I have done, such a bench should be more than adequate. I think that the vise looks like it will do well for that type of work. Until I build a heavier duty bench, likely a Moravian bench, that first bench will be my main and only bench

My question is, what do you think of the plan to use Dads old Craftsman as a face vise on a transportable carpentry type bench/assembly table, based on your experience? Think it should be fine?

Also, please post a few photos as you rebuild the end of the bench, and your vise, I am thinking that will help me when I get ready to mount Dad's old bench on my first bench.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-05-2018 at 9:57 PM.

Sellers has a blog about adding a face vise to his benches...

Haven't the room for a face vise...I do have a leg vise, though..

Will update this as things go along....

Still waiting on some lumber....MAY go with hardwood...may not..

May have to wait until after a Coffee Table Project gets built....Grandson says he would like one for his house...

Will need a supply of lag screws and washers...both from the sides, and into the legs...Moving jaw may be a tad thinner?

Stay tuned..

Stephen, given the wear you have inflicted in just 3 years I would say hardwood is a must!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Well..Road Trip today.....along with 12bf of 1 x 6 Ash....there is also a 2 x 4 x 8' of Ash, most will go towards the Coffee Table Project...and quite a bit of the 2 x 4 will be used to rehab the vise...
    Total price for the lumber today......$10....

lumber supply.jpgside view.jpg
    Might even find a bit of use for these pieces he tossed in...
    scraps.jpg
    Once I get the Coffee Table Project done....I can rebuild the vise....

The ash looks pretty clear for $10 !
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

$10 was the total price for all of that lumber...handed the fellow ten bucks, and he even helped load it in my van...
    Got two blanks for table legs out of the 2 x 4 x 8' plank...
    IMG_7016 (640x480).jpg
    Still have plenty left over, for the vise rebuild..
    IMG_7013 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_7014 (640x480).jpg
    May take a few extra cuts to get just the right parts out of it, though...
    Have a Coffee Table to complete, then we'll see about that vise rebuild.

Stay tuned

Steven,

One more +1 on the price of the lumber.

Sounds like you have a pretty fair idea already what is needed for the end of the bench and vise. I will bet it turns out much improved.

Stew

While setting up to crosscut the 2 x 4 down....noticed a problem...seems when the old Craftsman Circular saw fell onto the floor a few days ago...it landed right on the blade guard....cracked it, and bent it into the blade....got it freed up enough to make a couple cuts...may have to retire the old saw...
    Stashed the parts out of the way...had a few other chores to do..
    IMG_7033 (640x480).jpg
    Mainly the two in the middle of the stack...not sure about the other two..yet.
    IMG_7044 (640x480).jpg
    Once I could clear the bench of all the mortising stuff...I could lay two parts out..
    IMG_7046 (640x480).jpg
    Once I can tear this end of the bench apart...these just might fit..
    IMG_7045 (640x480).jpg
    Due to one of the legs being in the way..won't be able to center the vise up...

Stay tuned....

Had a glue up to do....then did some work on the vise..
    IMG_7067 (640x480).jpg
    Face of the jaw needed flattened...
    IMG_7068 (640x480).jpg
    Removed the old moving jaw, set the new one in it's place....marked where the mounting screws were to go, once the jaw's height was set..
    IMG_7070 (640x480).jpg
    This "thing" is the old jaw...handsome, ain't it? Lined up for some dog holes..
    IMG_7072 (640x480).jpg
    But did not drill any...yet...waiting to see how well they still line up, after the rest of the install is done...
    Had to pre-drill all four holes, to attach the jaw....LONG FAT slotted screws....waxed the threads seemed to help get the screws back in place.

Stay tuned..

Well, Coffee Table Project is delivered, today. Party will be at my Daughter's place next Monday. Will find out then how it went...

Today...tore the old vise apart. Moving jaw was set onto the bench...
    movable jaw.jpg
    A wide chisel was needed...as most of the screwheads were a bit messed up.
    Time to "DEMO" this thing..
    platten.jpg
    Hmmm..visegrips to remove the screws, after the wood is gone..got the first layer off
    junk board.jpg
    Set this aside..
    lags.jpg
    I did save the two lags, and their washers. Used the platten as a pattern...had a few notches to cut...and route out a place for this to sit in

notched.jpg
    Notched for the tool well, a notch for the plywood back of the bench, a bit notch for the vise to attach into...and the rebate for the metal face to sit flush..
    test fitting.jpg
    May add a thin veneer, later ( cork?) Then trying to install this....pilot holes for the lags...too small, redrill a tad bit bigger...drill doesn't have the ummph to drive the lags. 3/8" drive breaker bar did.

Pre-drill and counter sink a few holes...3" screws into the bench's legs...drive one, check level..drive another...checking as all 4 were installed
    leg screws.jpg
    Then a few more on each side...and up from the tool well....Sand the face flush and smooth..a few times ( kind of hard to plane it)
    Time to test fit this..
    front jaw.jpg
    Into the rest of the vise....more sanding, a bit of plane work on the top of the jaws...
    Took a couple fittings....
    Stay tuned for the results..

Ok, once the fit was where I wanted it...I gave all the "new" wood a coat of that SMELLY BLO...
    corner.jpg
    While getting the jaws level with the top of the bench....decided to bring the top of the leg vise chop down to the same level...
    fitted.jpg
    And gave it a bit of BLO, too.

Laid out for dog holes....need them to be an "End Vise"
    lay out.jpg
    Straightedge to line the holes up. ( called a Tinner's Rule. By Luftkin) Needed the big drill brought out
    Samson.jpg
    PEXTO No. 8012, 12" sweep, Samson chuck. Bit is a Craftsman #13.....
    big drill.jpg
    Was tired anyway, some one dog hole was done..for now. Have to make a set of round dogs....
    Waiting on the BLO to cure...may see about making some dogs...later

Not a bad afternoon?

Drilled the middle dog hole in the vise. tonight. Have made a set of notched, round Dogs....spokeshave and sanders to fit the dogs to the holes.

May "chase" some of the older dog holes with a forstner bit....as they are a bit undersized...doubt if I'll add any finish to the new dogs.