Thread: New Foredom!

New Foredom!

My father-in-law recently blessed me with a stellar pick from the thrift store he works at - a working Foredom CC series with a #30 chuck. It was in a box of junk they wouldn't/couldn't sell for whatever reason. No speed control, but he has one he said he'd let me use. I won't complain about a free tool!

Until now my carving has been limited to only what I can do with my Dremel and the unimaginative bit sets from the local big box. Until I get familiar with the tool I intend to use it for accenting hollow forms and other turned pieces, routing inlays, and shaping stuff. No relief carving or high-detail work just yet. I built a bench a few years ago next to my lathe for just this purpose, and once I excavate it I will have a good place to setup a carving station. What I don't have is a respectable set of burrs. The variety of Foredom accessories and attachments is overwhelming. I'm sure it will take some time and use of the tool to really figure out what all I actually need and will use, but I'm hoping y'all can recommend a good starter set of burrs/discs/drums/etc to get me started. For what it is worth, I think my wife snuck a set of 1/8" carbide burrs by me last time we were at the STL Woodcraft store. I should know for sure in about 21 days Aside from that what can y'all recommend for a beginning carver?

Great catch. Mine came from a thrift store as well. It's nice to be at the right place at the right time. I'll let other more experienced carvers recommend what you should get for tooling

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pisano View Post
    Great catch. Mine came from a thrift store as well. It's nice to be at the right place at the right time. I'll let other more experienced carvers recommend what you should get for tooling
    I mostly use carbide burrs like these: https://7d1abf71-1e51-11e4-bbcd-14fe...t/carbide-burs

MDI Woodcarvers Supply is a good place to get them (and almost anything else!) but you can also find bits at WoodCraft, Klingspor, and a number of other places. You have to know what size collets you have for your handpiece(s) or if getting new collets, which will fit your handpiece. I have a half dozen handpieces but I'm not where I can check them now to remember if there is one size standard to all of them. The Foredom site has info on all the collets and what fits what. https://www.foredom.net/handpiecesforflexshafts.aspx

One of their handpieces even has a 3-jaw chuck that will fit several sizes plus small drill bits.

If you do a lot of carving you might keep your eyes open for additional used Foredoms or other rotary carrvers. I have three plus three Dremels which saves a lot of time stopping to change bits. I once saw a model maker with at least a dozen Dremels hanging at his workstation.

JKJ