Thread: veneer tape ghost?

veneer tape ghost?

Not sure this is the right place, but..
    I just used curly maple veneer, and alcohol trans tint dye.(honey amber)
    I had scraped off the veneer tape and scraped and sanded the veneer well to 180.
    As soon as I applied the dye I noticed a ghost? of the veneer tape at the seams??
    I have no idea how to fix this, I was sure that any glue residue from the tape was gone but that's
    the only thing I can think that is causing this. any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?
    Regards
    Eric

Veneer tape uses a type of hide glue. When you remove the tape, some of the hide glue can remain in the wood and that will affect way the dye takes to the wood. I don't have any good suggestions except to wash the surface very well and use a brush to try to get into the grain.

An alternative - probably not a great alternative - is to put a wash of hide glue on the surface so it's even.

Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've had this problem several times, and of course you don't see it until after you apply the dye. With the shop sawn veneer I normally use I've found that if I sand the veneer tape off I don't get ghosting, but if I soak/scrape it off prior to sanding I sometimes do. This isn't a solution for those using commercial veneer, however.

John

Now that you can see where the glue is, sand it off and then stain again. I'm not much in favour of scraping it off other than getting the bulk off before sanding. The problem is the same as any job where you miss some glue. Sand as large an area as you need to so that you avoid witness lines during the second staining task. Cheers

Thank you guys!
    Well I found that some very careful scraping and sanding removed the ghost and then I redyed the area.
    came out fine and I can relax a bit. whew! I guess it really was glue residue.