Thread: Tiered shelves

Tiered shelves

Not sure where to put this question so I chose here and if it needs to be moved I am sure the Mods will do so.

Looking to improve some display racks for my craft shows. I want to design a tiered step shelve system that is easy to knock down and assemble at a show. I want to be able to cover an 8 foot table so I realize it probably will have to be a 2 section system. Looking to do about 4 or 5 steps and each step will be about 8” wide. I need to do this because right now I just put all projects on a table and they get lost in the crowd. If I show them off on different levels people will have a better chance to see them all. Has anyone set up a system like this?? weather it is a commercial or self made system would be of help. If you have photos that would even be better. Thanks in advance.
    John T.

John,
    I had the same issue as you and had been looking for solutions. I recently bought 4 shelf systems from a guy and his wife who had gotten many of them from a school district. They were older library book shelves. Metal, a little heavy, but sturdy and they come apart easily. The shelves fit into slots on the frame just like display shelves in stores. The shelf ends pop off of the shelves so it all becomes 1 dimensional. I spray painted them satin black and was very happy with the display at my last show in November. I only used 2 of the taller ones and the 1 short one at this show. I'll be setting them up tomorrow for a 3 day show coming up this weekend. The 3 tall ones are 78" high and the shorter one is 48".
    They are all 36" wide and shelves are 9" deep. I found some deep brown rubber drawer liner to give a better grip on the shelves. I know this may be a long shot for you, but these types of shelves are/were pretty common and with schools moving to more and more digital media I imagine there are a fair number of these available all over.
    Jim
    20181106_204501.jpg

Don't have a picture to show you but what I did for my cutting boards was to take two louvered doors that we had lying around and put two hinges on the top so it would open like a ladder. I put a small chain about half way down so it would not open too far. Then I drilled holes parallel to each other down the sides and put 3/8 dowels into the holes. I could then place the boards against the panels and display them. Was able to put 6 on each side so everyone could see them and it freed up table space.
    I suppose it would depend on what you are wanting to display as to the size of a platform for display.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Got the juices flowing. Have to give these some thought. Thanks
    John T.