Thread: Photo Enhancement

Photo Enhancement

I've been doing photos on granite with some success but a photo I recently rec'd was already enlarged once and lost lots of detail. I found an online service which offered 4 different options for enhancement and it helped some but the faces still have no definition. The original does cover a large area....imagine 5 people wide water skiing and the original photo can't be located. I also have no idea what sort of camera was used. Any input will be appreciated.
    Two things which are always true.........."No matter where you go, there you are" and "You can't outrun yourself"
    Rabbit QX60-9060, Corel 2017, PhotoGrav, 24x40 laser shop and 24x24 building with woodworking and other messy tools. No background or natural aptitude but lots of ambition.

Good question, but unless this is personal to you, no harm in turning work down if you can't provide top shelf results - due to the customer's photos. Crap in, Crap out.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

There's a learning curve to successfully upsampling an image in Photoshop and even then, the results can be rather less than you hoped for. Linear features are easier to interpolate than faces and as Tim suggested, original image quality matters. A lot.

I haven't personally tried it but the Let's Enhance website advertises that it can "Remove compression artifacts, upscale 4x and restore quality" using AI technology. Based on my hazy memory of an article I read last year, it might be worth a look.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I tried that Brett and it helped but I finally accepted that Tim is right. I actually engraved two tiles with modest success and explained the facts(as I understand them) to the customer and told her if she was satisfied with either one fine and if not we'll both move on
    Two things which are always true.........."No matter where you go, there you are" and "You can't outrun yourself"
    Rabbit QX60-9060, Corel 2017, PhotoGrav, 24x40 laser shop and 24x24 building with woodworking and other messy tools. No background or natural aptitude but lots of ambition.

enhancing photos

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Middleton View Post
    I tried that Brett and it helped but I finally accepted that Tim is right. I actually engraved two tiles with modest success and explained the facts(as I understand them) to the customer and told her if she was satisfied with either one fine and if not we'll both move on
    I've enhanced a LOT of photographs over the years for my work and for fun, substituting backgrounds, removing blemishes, distractions or unwanted elements (or people), sharpening and smoothing, fixing faces, opening eyes of the one person in a group photo who blinked. The more difficult cases can take a huge effort. It has to be pretty important to work on some (like the only known photo of great great grandma.)

There are some techniques and Photoshop filters that help, sometimes best used with masks and sometimes used manually "painting" on the mask or with a smoothing or sharpening brush. For simple cases, some things are easy to try. For "hopeless" cases, there is no quick fix. It sometimes boils down to the equivalent of repainting/redrawing the detail while smoothing away the noise. It is very tricky to touch up one area without out making it look out of place on the overall photo. It is easy to do things like sharpen eyes and paint highlights on portraits. If other photos are available it is sometimes possible to substitute sharper faces and such. The success of restoring a basket case depends on the level of artistic ability, the level of expertise, and the time invested. I wouldn't even try without a good tool like Photoshop with layering - I might end up with a dozen layers when adjusting one photo!

I don't know ANYTHING about engraving a photo onto anything.

JKJ

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday. I finally met with the customer and showed her the two "best" outcomes. She approved the better of the two and ordered two more. Her friend then asked if I had time for her to run home and bring a photo so another order came from the first

Blog Entries
    Good for you. I've failed on most of my attempts and for the most part avoid photo engraving. There are those that do a much better job than I.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I find Topaz studios offer a couple of upscaling and enhancement plug-ins for Photoshop that have been well worth the cost to me.
    (I've been a P'shop user since version 5 in about 1997, so have some editing competence!)
    I had one poor scan of a plain postcard sized photo that I enhanced, and lasered at 2.5 metres wide, after some effort - it was really acceptable - but there is 20 years' learning curve, plus some understanding of laser engraving too - and the use of unsharpmask to extremes - nothing about it was easy.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.