Thread: Tormek Grinding Wheels Discounts

Tormek Grinding Wheels Discounts

Hello,
    Just seeing if anyone has a lead on where to purchase the standard grinding wheel (SG 250) 10" at a discount pricing? I've been finding them lately on Amazon and the big auction site for $192.00. Just a month ago they were $185.00.

Thank you for the help

Ben
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Ben, I’m not sure if it is compatible, but the specs for a $54 10” Grizzly wheel:
    Grinding wheel measures 250mm diameter x 50mm wide x 12mm bore ....

If you have a Tormek don't buy anything but a Tormek stone.

Go to Zoro, sign up for "Z-mail" and they will send you a 15% off coupon for your first order. So it should be about $162 with free shipping. Or you can wait, I get 20 and 25% off coupons regularly from them. They do have items on a no discount list but as of last month, Tormek was still not on it. I have bought all my Tormek products from them at 25% off. Note that some of their stuff is listed above the normal retail but with the coupons they end up well below retail.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Fellows than you for the information on both stones. I believe I will stick with Tormek. It’s a shame that my old stone is still in nice condition but the OEM shaft was carbon steel with chrome plating on it. Older 2000 model. It eventually rusted and as a result it enlarged the diameter of the center hole. I just replaced the shaft with the new stainless replacement shaft. I gave the old stone to a machine shop to bore and sleeve but I’m not sure it will work. He’s a friend but I hate to see him dedicate too much time to it He’s in the business to make money not spend time fooling with my projects.

Thanks fellows.
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Have you considered a CBN wheel for the Tormek? Woodturnerswonders sell a couple. Tormek sell a diamond wheel. Both are used dry. The advantage of these wheels are that they will last forever, and never require re-surfacing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a Tormek coming that looks like it has little use on it. I'm planning to put one of their diamond wheels on it, if it can be used wet. If the wheel is in good shape, I may decide to part with it, if you're interested. It hasn't arrived yet though, so I really don't know.

Also, I wonder if you couldn't fill the hole with thickened epoxy, and redrill a new center hole.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-05-2018 at 8:32 AM.

Hartville Tool - remember them? If you enter WN15 you get 15% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Fellows than you for the information on both stones. I believe I will stick with Tormek. It’s a shame that my old stone is still in nice condition but the OEM shaft was carbon steel with chrome plating on it. Older 2000 model. It eventually rusted and as a result it enlarged the diameter of the center hole. I just replaced the shaft with the new stainless replacement shaft. I gave the old stone to a machine shop to bore and sleeve but I’m not sure it will work. He’s a friend but I hate to see him dedicate too much time to it He’s in the business to make money not spend time fooling with my projects.

Thanks fellows.
    I have repaired low speed wheels with a bronze bushing and epoxy. Works fine.

Hi fellows
    Derek, I looked into the CBN wheels and now you have me thinking why would I fool with a normal Tormek wheel. After spending some time reading the website and reviewing customer comments they seem like an easy choice. Heck I was thinking of saving a few dollars off the Tormek wheel and now I’m considering buy two CBN wheels. I think I’ll see if my friend fixes the OEM wheel and possibly buy the 1000 grit CBN

Tom if you decide to let go of your OEM wheel let me know. I’ll see what transpires this coming week if he can sleeve mine or not.

I never gave gave it a thought to try to repair it with epoxy and then redrill it. Ever crossed my mind

I knew of the CBN wheels but thought they were only made in a 1” thickness for turners. Now that I see they have direct replacements I could kick myself. I just purchased a Japanese stone from a fellow and a new wider drip tray. I feel I just wasted $300.00 when I could have bought two CBN wheels and never have to fool with a water tray again. I think I have to think about the direction to go. Keep the Japanese stone for polishing and use the OEM wheel or possibly buy the 1000 grit CBN and use the Tormek stone for rough grinding. I really like the idea if the CBN Tornado wheel that has a 1” side wall for flattening the backs of chisels and plane irons

and all I asked was to save a few dollars, I love it.

Thanks fellows for all the ideas including the epoxy ideas. I’ll let you all know what I end up doing

Thanks Ben

1200 grit CBN ?

Hi fellows
    Derek, I looked into the CBN wheels and now you have me thinking why would I fool with a normal Tormek wheel. After spending some time reading the website and reviewing customer comments they seem like an easy choice. Heck I was thinking of saving a few dollars off the Tormek wheel and now I’m considering buy two CBN wheels. I think I’ll see if my friend fixes the OEM wheel and possibly buy the 1000 grit CBN
    Ben,

I use a 1200 grit wheel on my Tormek. I first bought a 600 grit and while it worked OK I decided I wanted a finer grit. I think Ken told me at the time I bought the 1200 he had only sold one (I had to wait while he special-ordered it) but now he carries them in stock.

If you get a CBN, remember it will be more aggressive and may not give the expected grind smoothness until it is well used. Reed Grey once said this might take a month of use on a bench grinder wheel.

I use that 1200 grit CBN to sharpen my lathe spindle gouges and a few other tools. After using it long enough to break in the wheel I still don't get quite the edge I got with the Tormek water wheel but it's perfect after a polishing the edge with a few seconds of stropping.

If I decide to sell my 600 grit CBN and original Tormek water wheel (a replacement after wearing out the first one), I'll post in classified.

JKJ

John,

Thank you for the information on the CBN grits. I find your information useful because I did not know the CBN wheels were let me say more aggressive. I like the 400/1000 that the Tormek results in when used properly and I am looking forward to using the 4000 Japanese stone. The CBN seems to offer convenience and durability without the use of water. I also like the idea of the ability to use the side of the stone.

I am guilty of using the side of the Tormek stone with common sense not applying excessive pressure. It really doesn't give great results though. I suppose I'll stick to flat stones for flatting for now. I don't mind sharpening, in fact I sometimes enjoy spending a few hours in a quiet shop, but I hate flatting plane and chisel backs. Oh well,

I'd love to see one of the CBN wheels first hand. I don't thing the Pittsburgh Rockler or Woodcraft sell them. Then again maybe they do for turners. As I mentioned I'm not a turner so I don't really know what's available plus I really don't visit the stores but once a year.

I do appreciate all the information that this thread has gathered, it gives more options and ideas than I thought were available.

Thank you all
    Ben

I'd love to see one of the CBN wheels first hand.
    I almost suggested you try before you buy but when I saw where you live I didn't invite you here. (BTW, I grew up south of Pittsburgh on the Monongahela river a couple of miles upstream from RT 51.) I've had several people visit just to try the wheels. (I have 80, 180, 600, and 1200)

You might check the AAW web site for woodturning clubs in your area and give one a call. Many turners sharpen with CBN now and I can't imagine any of them unwilling to let you try theirs.

I buy the CBN wheels with 1" of grit down the sides, a bit more expensive but I do use the sides on occasion. Not for sharpening chisels and such though. I used to use the side of the stone Tormek water wheel too (but not the bench grinders). The Tormek turns so slow it can't be a safety hazard.

JKJ