Thread: Odd-smelling piece of cherry wood

Odd-smelling piece of cherry wood

I have a piece of cherry wood that smells rather unpleasant - a sort of barnyard, funky smell when cut. It looks and feels otherwise normal, and it's sourced from a reliable supplier who only stocks kiln-dried. Other pieces of cherry I got in the same order seem normal. Any idea what's up?

Are you sure you didn't get a piece of cottonwood mixed in? Stuff has a funky smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Are you sure you didn't get a piece of cottonwood mixed in? Stuff has a funky smell.
    Pretty sure - looks like cherry, feels like cherry, and there's a hint of the regular cherry scent (although it's pretty well hidden).

Likely a pasture tree that picked up odor during its long life. I've had that experience with cherry and oak. I'm guessing that the chemicals that are odiferous get chemically linked to some tree structure and kiln drying doesn't remove it. The odor will likely disappear once it is finished. Shellac is a good cover for odors in wood.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Weber View Post
    Likely a pasture tree that picked up odor during its long life. I've had that experience with cherry and oak. I'm guessing that the chemicals that are odiferous get chemically linked to some tree structure and kiln drying doesn't remove it. The odor will likely disappear once it is finished. Shellac is a good cover for odors in wood.
    Kind of like the old saying, "you are what you eat"!!! I know that if cows eat bitterweed it will make the milk bitter. I never considered a tree absorbing odors, but I guess it could. My suggestion would be that there was some sort of fungus in the wood. I've had that happen before, and it was a very pungent smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Kind of like the old saying, "you are what you eat"!!! I know that if cows eat bitterweed it will make the milk bitter. I never considered a tree absorbing odors, but I guess it could. My suggestion would be that there was some sort of fungus in the wood. I've had that happen before, and it was a very pungent smell.
    Some sort of fungus is my concern - it certainly doesn't smell moldy or mildewed to me, nor does it look it, but I know that hardly covers the possibilities. The "pasture wood" is something I've heard of before. In a worst-case fungus situation, do I need to worry about it spreading to other pieces in my wood supply?

I wonder if an experienced arborist would have more information about a “pasture tree” and it’s odor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    In a worst-case fungus situation, do I need to worry about it spreading to other pieces in my wood supply?
    I doubt it, unless you have extraordinarily wet wood in your supply.

Fungus spores are everywhere in the air all the time, anyway. But they only "take root" and grow under the right circumstances of humidity and temperature. Google "dry rot" for just one example.

Blog Entries
    I would suggest that you speak with your supplier in person and bring along some fresh cut samples.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Trees can get bacterial infections. They can have an odd smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Trees can get bacterial infections. They can have an odd smell.
    It had a yeast infection. Lol

I have some running shoes like that

Maybe it came from the butt end of the log.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I would suggest that you speak with your supplier in person and bring along some fresh cut samples.
    I checked and they don't know what it is - offered to replace it, though.

Out of curiosity, I went back and cut another piece off this board to see if it was the same (originally noticed the smell a month ago) - it's definitely fainter than originally, and almost has a red oak-like "cheesy" odor. (No, it's not red oak, just weird.) To the scrap pile!