Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw frustrations

I haven't tried a Woodslicer blade but I've mostly been happy with Timber Wolf. I was buying them at a discount off eBay for a while, but then I got one that was dull, it was stored in a plastic sleeve and a lot of the points had poked through. It looked like it might have had something dragged across it where it was stored which had dulled it. I used a 1/2" 3 TPI blade in a Jet 18" bandsaw for a few years for almost everything, but then this spring I got a Rikon 10-305 and keep a 1/4" blade in it, can't remember the TPI. Now instead of having to decide if it's worth the 5 minutes to swap blades in the big saw I can just walk back and forth from one saw to the other and I like it a lot better. I build mainly banjos but have made a few guitars too. With practice you can get a lot faster at adjusting the guides, it can be hard to get them to stay put while you tighten the screw but you'll figure out the way that works best for you. I had to learn that when adjusting the bearings on the band saw mill, and the same principle applies to shop bandsaws, but on a smaller scale.
    Zach

I bought my first Timerwolf blade a few weeks back when they were on sale. Followed the instructions for tensioning it and SNAP! Broke at the weld a week later. Was able to exchange it and my new blade cuts so much slower than the first one. Both 1/2" 3TPI.

Blog Entries
    I wanted to chime back in. I just swapped from a 5/16" factory blade to a 3/16" blade on my little 10" Rikon and it took a closer to 12 minutes. Same basic guides as the G0513X only smaller bearings, same wrench size even. I didn't realize how much more fuss the smaller guides were and wanted to give a valid report ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There was a time when I felt the same way about changing blades on my table saw, after a few dozen blade changes I rarely make a cut without ensuring I have the correct blade installed. I can switch out blades in about a minute. I'm not there yet on my bandsaw, (blade changes do take longer) but as others have said the more times you change blades, the easier it gets and the less likely you are to use the wrong blade just because of the effort required to change blades.