Thread: New Marking Gage

New Marking Gage

I have been considering getting a new marking gage for a while. I really like the one I have . I Got it off from a retiring Pattern Maker back in the 80s. The bar is hex so when it gets dull I just rotate it. The long bar comes in handy but it is also sometimes cumbersome so I have been looking for something a little shorter.

DSC03434.JPG

Anyway an add came into my email for an iGAGE marking gage, it seem that magazines are partnering with catalog suppliers now. I had already checked it out. I wasn't really considering it because it was at the top of the price range, and I thought the fine adjustment could be a little gimmicky, but the sale price was a good price so I bought one. And here is what I found.

The fit of the bar and the finish of the gage superb. I have arthritics in the thumbs and I can lock the gage solidly in place with one hand. It has both metric and fractional measurements on the bar. I am a 6" steel rule man so I do not know how useful those marking will be but I do have them. It also has a fine adjustment knob that works smoothly and accurately. Again it is a feature I may or not use but it is there when I do chose to use it. Since it is round I tried to get it to roll off the table but I couldn't get it to roll much. The two locking screws put it out of balance so I don't think it could accidentally roll off from my work bench. Yes even I can knock it off or any other one off the bench. Here is a picture.

DSC03435.JPG

The only down side I have found is it is a little to big to fit in the drawer I keep my steel rules squares marking knife and so on. I will have to cut a flat on it so it will fit and allow the drawer to close. I used Blum self closing drawer slides on all the drawers on this side so the actual drawer is not as deep as it looks. The drawer is the top right.

DSC03414.JPG

I usually don't endorse a tool but I will make an exception on the iGage Marking gage. Fit is smooth, locks solidly with one hand even with arthritic thumbs and I think it will do everything I ask it to do without messing around. And I don't have to worry about it rolling off from my bench.

If you are going to tell me you found this post useful, great, if you are going to tell me how you do it differently please start your own post.
    Tom

Tom, thank you for this. I’ve been considering a second micro-adjust gauge. This might just be the ticket. By the way, I have found the micro adjust very useful and use it often...you may as well as you use it more.

Good info Tom. Thanks!

I'm linking yours to a similar one by Mike Henderson so folks can reference both in the future. LINK.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-03-2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    If you are going to tell me you found this post useful, great, if you are going to tell me how you do it differently please start your own post.
    LOL!

Can you give us a link?

My search for iGage marking gage didn't find it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    LOL!

Can you give us a link?

My search for iGage marking gage didn't find it.

jtk
    I think this is it Jim. LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yes, that is where I found it, and that is what I paid for it.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link.

How much adjustment range does it have?

Also the thumb screws look like they do not hit the table if the gauge rolls. Is my view correct?

My gauge has longer screws which prevent it from rolling.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    You should have one of each.

I do and I suspect Jim K might have one of each too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    You should have one of each.

I do and I suspect Jim K might have one of each too.
    My Veritas marking gauge was sold to a woodworker across the river from me. Still love my TiteMark® gauge and sometimes consider buying another.

All my other marking gauges are old Stanley, mostly wooden gauges. And a Morrison (iirc) M&T gauge.

jtk