Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expanding my Jet 1014 mini?

Search "riser block wood lathe". It can be done, has been done and will be done again. The issue of power, does the Jet motor have enough? Not really, but will you be turning that big of bowls every time or just occasionally? Since space is an issue, another option is a "custom" bowl lathe, Find a headstock, preferably 1-8TPI with 2MT so all of the jet accessories work with it. Mount headstock on a piece of 10x10 square tubing, again look at Google search images for "custom bowl lathe" for ideas. Built right, it could be fit in a 2x4 work space.

Oakland, CA, by way of Virginia Beach, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    Search "riser block wood lathe". It can be done, has been done and will be done again. The issue of power, does the Jet motor have enough? Not really, but will you be turning that big of bowls every time or just occasionally? Since space is an issue, another option is a "custom" bowl lathe, Find a headstock, preferably 1-8TPI with 2MT so all of the jet accessories work with it. Mount headstock on a piece of 10x10 square tubing, again look at Google search images for "custom bowl lathe" for ideas. Built right, it could be fit in a 2x4 work space.
    Now we're talking! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5H_kqpvk30

It seems like all I would need would be a longer belt once the blocks are in place.

I have 2 Jet 1014s. I'm in the group that says to not waste your time and effort to try turning something large on that. It's just too underpowered to even turn things that fit on the lathe. Look for a used 12" lathe. I just scored a Rikon 12" to add to my collection. Fits nicely between the 10 and 16" Jets that I have. Don't get me wrong, I love the minis, that's why I have 2 of them. I think they are the best mini lathes to turn small items such as pens bottle stoppers and boxes. It just can't turn bigger things. Even 6" bowls are hard to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I have 2 Jet 1014s. I'm in the group that says to not waste your time and effort to try turning something large on that. It's just too underpowered to even turn things that fit on the lathe. Look for a used 12" lathe. I just scored a Rikon 12" to add to my collection. Fits nicely between the 10 and 16" Jets that I have. Don't get me wrong, I love the minis, that's why I have 2 of them. I think they are the best mini lathes to turn small items such as pens bottle stoppers and boxes. It just can't turn bigger things. Even 6" bowls are hard to turn.
    Your collection sounds about like mine: two Jet 1014s, two Jet 1642s, and one PM3520b. Very handy if with more than a turner or two at once.

I haven't tried bowls on the mini but I did turn some on my first lathe, a serious candidate for the Absolute Worse Lathe in the world: a Ridgid clone of the old Craftsman tube lathe, impossible to align and a tiny wimpy motor and a set of tools from Sears. I didn't have any trouble with the bowls, probably because I didn't know any better. The first bowl I turned was from glued up layers of 4/4 red oak, about 7" in diameter.

The best thing about that lathe was the course on woodturning in the back of the manual: spindle and faceplate turning, when to cut and when to scrape, etc. - that's how I learned basic woodturning.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/26...page=25#manual
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-05-2018 at 4:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I haven't tried bowls on the mini but I did turn some on my first lathe, a serious candidate for the Absolute Worse Lathe in the world: a Ridgid clone of the old Craftsman tube lathe, impossible to align and a tiny wimpy motor and a set of tools from Sears. I didn't have any trouble with the bowls, probably because I didn't know any better. The first bowl I turned was from glued up layers of 4/4 red oak, about 7" in diameter.
    Well, I think I have you beat for THE absolute worst lathe to start. The Craftsman lathe that was not even as good as the mono tube lathe. The 12" T bar lathe. BUT I did turn hundreds of pens with that. I used it for years. No bowls ever got finished. Too much flex. Assumed it was lack of skill. But I knew no better, and I was happy as a clam. Ignorance is bliss. It gave me a break and finally died on me. Looked for a replacement motor. 90 bucks? The whole lathe was a little more than that..... The Jet mini, although smaller was a tremendous upgrade. It was 119 bucks at that time...... I could actually turn small bowls with that.
    I don't own a Powermatic though.... Wish I did.