I have a J. Weike L6040N (60W) Chinese laser. Before I start getting replies to this post slamming Chinese lasers or telling me I should be a domestic one and I wouldn't be asking this question, I LOVE my laser, it works great and I am fine using LaserCut software! I am just exploring whether or not there is a better alternative that's easy to switch over to.

One of the issues I have is I use an old PC laptop, 32bit with Windows 7 because the LaserCut software requires it. It doesn't help that my laptop is garbage. I have other laptops, including a PC version with current Windows installed and a newer Macbook Pro. But I can't use those with LaserCut because it's PC based and requires 32bit (so Windows 7).

I have briefly looked at LaserBurn and LaserWeb. The latter is open source I believe. LaserBurn offers both Mac and PC versions and suggests it may work for my machine but I'm not sure. I know I can 'change the controller' as their site suggests, to one that does work with their software if by chance the controller I have doesn't, but that sounds tricky and I'd rather not break what ain't broken. So I'm hoping to find something I can switch to seamlessly that will allow me to use one of my faster laptops (PC or Mac) and that won't screw up my laser and/or require any hardware/controller changes.

Anyone have any thoughts or any experience with this?