Thread: How easy is it to switch software in Chinese laser?

How easy is it to switch software in Chinese laser?

I have a J. Weike L6040N (60W) Chinese laser. Before I start getting replies to this post slamming Chinese lasers or telling me I should be a domestic one and I wouldn't be asking this question, I LOVE my laser, it works great and I am fine using LaserCut software! I am just exploring whether or not there is a better alternative that's easy to switch over to.

One of the issues I have is I use an old PC laptop, 32bit with Windows 7 because the LaserCut software requires it. It doesn't help that my laptop is garbage. I have other laptops, including a PC version with current Windows installed and a newer Macbook Pro. But I can't use those with LaserCut because it's PC based and requires 32bit (so Windows 7).

I have briefly looked at LaserBurn and LaserWeb. The latter is open source I believe. LaserBurn offers both Mac and PC versions and suggests it may work for my machine but I'm not sure. I know I can 'change the controller' as their site suggests, to one that does work with their software if by chance the controller I have doesn't, but that sounds tricky and I'd rather not break what ain't broken. So I'm hoping to find something I can switch to seamlessly that will allow me to use one of my faster laptops (PC or Mac) and that won't screw up my laser and/or require any hardware/controller changes.

Anyone have any thoughts or any experience with this?

I have a Chinese laser, about 2 years old runs just fine on Windows 7 Pro which is 64 bit. The Chinese software for the Laser is really just a means to send something you have created in say Corel Draw and Exported to your Laser Software and to feed the machine a file via USB. Thats the way it works.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-03-2018 at 3:47 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I have a Chinese laser, about 2 years old runs just fine on Windows 7 Pro which is 64 bit. The Chinese software for the Laser is really just a means to send something you have created in say Corel Draw and Exported to your Laser Software and to feed the machine a file via USB. Thats the way it works.
    Bill, with that said, what's stopping you from using, say, Job Control, to drive another laser? Is it coded a certain way to prevent it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Bill, with that said, what's stopping you from using, say, Job Control, to drive another laser? Is it coded a certain way to prevent it?
    Huh? Who said anything about Job Control and this is a Chinese laser, no Job Control here.

Adam - I'm not positive but depending on your controller model - Ruida? Leetro? Etc. - you might be able to use Lightburn - it's brilliant now and improving every day - there is a free trial at https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/...before-you-buy - and it runs on win7- 32 or 64 just fine; also runs on Mac and linux. Has great support answered in English on their Facebook page almost instantaneously - It will become the only software you need before too long - I'm already doing 95% of my design work in it -only rarely needing to get back to Coreldraw - also has built in trace feature which is as good as vector magic was - and their photo dithering setup gives me results as good as Photograv - albeit with more tweaking and experimenting sometimes involved, and it's only $80.00 for a license with 1 year of updates. Just ascertain what controller you are using and see if they support it - if not they are adding to the list of supported controllers regularly.
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Huh? Who said anything about Job Control and this is a Chinese laser, no Job Control here.
    Haha, I guess I could have been clearer. It was a hypothetical. If the software is simply a path to the laser, would it be possible to use another software than EZCad to drive the laser? Like light burn for instance

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carruthers View Post
    Adam - I'm not positive but depending on your controller model - Ruida? Leetro? Etc. - you might be able to use Lightburn - it's brilliant now and improving every day - there is a free trial at https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/...before-you-buy - and it runs on win7- 32 or 64 just fine; also runs on Mac and linux. Has great support answered in English on their Facebook page almost instantaneously - It will become the only software you need before too long - I'm already doing 95% of my design work in it -only rarely needing to get back to Coreldraw - also has built in trace feature which is as good as vector magic was - and their photo dithering setup gives me results as good as Photograv - albeit with more tweaking and experimenting sometimes involved, and it's only $80.00 for a license with 1 year of updates. Just ascertain what controller you are using and see if they support it - if not they are adding to the list of supported controllers regularly.
    I checked with Lightburn and it looks like I have a Leetro controller. They don't support Leetro yet but will be. It could be up to a yead but that's fine. I'll wait. I tried their demo on my Mac and while I couldn't do it online (connected to my laser), offline it was terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Haha, I guess I could have been clearer. It was a hypothetical. If the software is simply a path to the laser, would it be possible to use another software than EZCad to drive the laser? Like light burn for instance
    EZCad is for a fiber laser.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Less View Post
    One of the issues I have is I use an old PC laptop, 32bit with Windows 7 because the LaserCut software requires it. It doesn't help that my laptop is garbage. I have other laptops, including a PC version with current Windows installed and a newer Macbook Pro. But I can't use those with LaserCut because it's PC based and requires 32bit (so Windows 7).
    Typically, when someone says "requires 32-bit", the actual application software could care less, but there are no 64-bit drivers available for the hardware interface. Not (usually) a problem for USB, but there are still odd bits of controller hardware out there that use parallel interfaces, for which 64-bit drivers don't exist. (Or at least didn't exist last I checked.)

Is that what's going on here? If so, it would likely require a controller upgrade to fix.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Virtual machine...

I have a old Dell Precision T5600 with an 8-core cpu, 32gigs of ram running 64bit Win7 Enterprise...

My GCC Explorer requires a 32bit computer for its driver. I put a 32bit XP virtual machine on the Dell (via VirtualBox, NOT the built-in MS version), and the driver works just fine on the XP. I allotted the VM 5 gigs of ram, and it's stupid fast.

You could also just use a 32bit Win7 as the VM...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Virtual machine...

I have a old Dell Precision T5600 with an 8-core cpu, 32gigs of ram running 64bit Win7 Enterprise...

My GCC Explorer requires a 32bit computer for its driver. I put a 32bit XP virtual machine on the Dell (via VirtualBox, NOT the built-in MS version), and the driver works just fine on the XP. I allotted the VM 5 gigs of ram, and it's stupid fast.
    (scratches head) Ok, I'll bite: what does a 32-bit machine (real or virtual) do with >4GB of RAM?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I use Light Burn and it's not bad. I wish it had a few more features but I use Corel and import files to Lightburn. I never used LaserCut that came with my G Weike

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    (scratches head) Ok, I'll bite: what does a 32-bit machine (real or virtual) do with >4GB of RAM?
    probably nothing, it's just where I set the slider -- but it is stupid fast, everything it does is instantaneous, unlike every other computer I own.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle