Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 165mm or 6.5" saw blades for track saw- need advice and suppliers

Malcolm,
    I would try and find a low tooth count rip blade even if it means it's only 160mm. I haven't looked hard for one but have thought about it from time to time.
    Whatever blade you find please report back! And I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in seeing pics of that birdsmouth mast.....

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post

I checked out Carbide Processors' website, and I will peruse it some more, but I did not see anything in my size with the 20mm arbor hole.

So here is a question: Why don't they make a plunge cut track saw with a standard 7 1/4" blade? I knew finding blades for my saw (Makita) would be difficult, but I didn't expect even going online to find one to be such a task.

I've never dealt with CP, but I have to assume that if you have the ability to custom make a blade, boring a hole in the center of any diameter isn't going to be a problem. I could be wrong though.

I would suspect that the reason you don't find plunge saws that accept standard 7-1/4" blades, is "market share". You can buy 10 packs of Freud Diablo's on amazon for less than a 1/3rd the cost of a Festool blade, I have the TS75 also, and throw them away when they get dull.. No way in my lifetime I'll ever burn through 30 circular saw blades. They make good $$$$ on the OEM replacement blades.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-05-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I've never dealt with CP, but I have to assume that if you have the ability to custom make a blade, boring a hole in the center of any diameter isn't going to be a problem. I could be wrong though.
    i've not had to do it, but yes they will custom build to spec. That's why i'd suggest a phone call (or e-mail may be easier in Malcolm's case) Ridge probably would custom make as well. Once i get to the rebuild on my Dad's 1946 Red Star RAS (turret design, Delta bought them in 1947 or 1948 for that saw)--i'll learn more since that saw has a 3/4" arbor.
    earl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Malcolm,
    I would try and find a low tooth count rip blade even if it means it's only 160mm. I haven't looked hard for one but have thought about it from time to time.
    Whatever blade you find please report back! And I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in seeing pics of that birdsmouth mast.....

I may just go 160mm for now. The spruce is a little less than 2". I agree a low tooth rip blade for this is better. I still need a 165mm for the mahogany which is frequently slightly more than 2" thick rough cut.

Follow my build in the boat forum- the mast will be in two weeks if I can get the platform built next weekend. I need the platform to rip it and then build it straight. The boat also is built on the platform.

By the way, the Freuds came and turns out they were 5/8" arbor. I may see if a machine shop can drill them to 20mm perfectly centered, but the Freuds have that diamond knockout, so I'm not sure that will work.

Recently had the same problem.. bought the Freud 14 Tooth 160 mm blade for my dewalt track saw. did not have any probs ripping 2 inch oak. I believe Acme tools ships to you...

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/freud-lu87r006m20
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
    Recently had the same problem.. bought the Freud 14 Tooth 160 mm blade for my dewalt track saw. did not have any probs ripping 2 inch oak. I believe Acme tools ships to you...

I have used this blade and it is an excellent ripping blade if you decide to go 160mm.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post

Thanks- they didn't ship to me, but I found it at Tool Barn. I just hope it gets here soon. I'm moving along with this build quicker than expected!

Blog Entries
    Update: It was Tool Nut, not Tool Barn that I had ordered from- my mistake- so many companies I've tried now, I got confused. I got an email from them yesterday- sorry, we don't want your business... haha no, actually it said they don't ship outside the US. Ugh.

I finally found the Makita 48 tooth, so I bought it, although that's not the one I need- I need something for ripping- which I would think 24 teeth or less, which Makita makes, but not online that ships to me.

I called Carbide Processors.. They ship to me, but they don't have any 165mm blades- only 160.. Okay, so I said what's the best ripping blade you have in 160mm? She took my number and said she'd ask a tech and call me back. Haven't heard back yet.

Infinity Track Master- sold out... because they were smart and made a good blade for 165mm and people flocked to them- only guessing. :-)

Dear sawblade manufacturers: Dewalt, Makita, and Triton at minimum make saws that take 165mm blades. Please can you make some decent options for these saws? What's the deal? You don't think people rip with these things? It's the whole reason I bought the saw. They aren't just for plywood! Come on, guys- help a brother out. Make a good rip cut blade and by the way, please ship it outside the US. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Update- right after posting the above, I found the Freud 160mm 14 tooth on eBay that ships to me. Bought- waiting. Still not 165mm, but it's a rip cut thin kerf, and for this project the wood is just under 2" so it should work.

Update- right after posting the above, I found the Freud 160mm 14 tooth on eBay that ships to me. Bought- waiting. Still not 165mm, but it's a rip cut thin kerf, and for this project the wood is just under 2" so it should work.
    Fingers crossed for you. I think a lot more companies would ship to you if they understood you have a US zip code and the USPS costs to ship are the same as it is to ship a package to an address down the street from them. It is like people that only ship "CONUS" on for sale areas of forums when they are going to use USPS. To them Hawaii is "furrun".
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Fingers crossed for you. I think a lot more companies would ship to you if they understood you have a US zip code and the USPS costs to ship are the same as it is to ship a package to an address down the street from them. It is like people that only ship "CONUS" on for sale areas of forums when they are going to use USPS. To them Hawaii is "furrun".

Yup. I love “Continental US.” Okay, so Alaska is on the same continent, why doesn’t it count? Thanks for the advice on the Freud 14 tooth. It shipped today from the eBay seller.

Yup. I love “Continental US.” Okay, so Alaska is on the same continent, why doesn’t it count? Thanks for the advice on the Freud 14 tooth. It shipped today from the eBay seller.
    The Freud you ordered is very good. IMO a full arsenal comprises the 14 tooth you bought, a 28 tooth and 48 tooth finishing blade. With those three you should have all cutting situations covered. I'll be surprised if you ever run into a situation where the depth difference between the 160mm and 6.5" blade is an issue. Good luck with the project,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    The Freud you ordered is very good. IMO a full arsenal comprises the 14 tooth you bought, a 28 tooth and 48 tooth finishing blade. With those three you should have all cutting situations covered. I'll be surprised if you ever run into a situation where the depth difference between the 160mm and 6.5" blade is an issue. Good luck with the project,
    I buy rough cut mahogany and the track saw with 165mm blade just barely makes it through. The spruce is thinner and won’t be an issue.

Malcom, these guys have a good selection and ship all over the world:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/search/?...=%5D%5B0%5D=1&