Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 165mm or 6.5" saw blades for track saw- need advice and suppliers

Blog Entries

165mm or 6.5" saw blades for track saw- need advice and suppliers

I'm about to rip some 21' long boards with my track saw and I want the best possible blade. I am really having a hard time finding this size blade. Shipping from the US works better for me. I have found a few Freuds in the UK. I'm sure someone out there can make some recommendations. I am ripping these to make a birdsmouth mast for a sailboat. I want clean edges, but one edge gets routed to a V and the other mates into that V. I have one shot at this in a very expensive piece of wood and I am willing to pay top $$$ for a good saw blade. By the way, mine does take 165mm, which is 6.5 inches. Apparently there is a wealth of 160mm, and I may just go with that, but the problem is I frequently rip 2" thick material, and I really would use that extra 5mm.

So- what blade and who sells it?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    *** These need to be 20mm bore for the arbor.

I bought the 28T (160mm) Freud blade for my Festool saw from Amazon awhile back and like it so far. First use was cross cutting the ends of of a dining room table - very nice cut in the 6/4 cherry

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Infinity sells 165mm blades and so does Makita and Dewalt.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

No first-hand experience, but I have a friend who swears by the Infinity Track Master.

I can tell you that the 6.5" blade that came with my Makita track saw is excellent. I was expecting the usual ho-hum stock blade, quite surprised.

Carbide Processors in Washington State can make almost anything, and Tom is a friend of the Creek. He knows carbide, and they'll take a phone call to discuss what you're doing. Wouldn't be cheap, but you're asking for quality and seem realistic in your expectations.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Carbide Processors in Washington State can make almost anything, and Tom is a friend of the Creek. He knows carbide, and they'll take a phone call to discuss what you're doing. Wouldn't be cheap, but you're asking for quality and seem realistic in your expectations.
    earl
    If I am not mistaken Jerrimy Snook at Snook's Saw Services in Salem Or does Tom's custom work including his Worlds Best saws with the Cermet II tips.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I believe CMT and Oshlun make what you need. I did buy a few Oshlun blades for my Festool, it worked good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I believe CMT and Oshlun make what you need. I did buy a few Oshlun blades for my Festool, it worked good.
    I think both CMT and Oshlun only make 160mm blades. I assume Malcolm has either a Makita or Dewalt tracksaw which use a 165mm blade (full 6.5"). While the 160mm blades work on both I think he wants the extra 5mm to maintain the saws depth of cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If I am not mistaken Jerrimy Snook at Snook's Saw Services in Salem Or does Tom's custom work including his Worlds Best saws with the Cermet II tips.
    I can't speak to that, but i use a World's Best 7 1/4" in my 10" table saw for cutting kerfs and inserts to segment pen blanks--and it was worth it to me. CP also sells a line from Popular Tools at a lower price point that is excellent for general work.
    earl

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies. Yesterday I found the Freud Diablo in 165mm on Amazon. It didn't say if the arbor was 20mm, but in the reviews everyone was saying they used it on their track saw, so I'm hoping that it is. (Sometimes reviews get put in the wrong place.) If not, well- I got a good price and I'll use them on another saw.

I checked out Carbide Processors' website, and I will peruse it some more, but I did not see anything in my size with the 20mm arbor hole.

So here is a question: Why don't they make a plunge cut track saw with a standard 7 1/4" blade? I knew finding blades for my saw (Makita) would be difficult, but I didn't expect even going online to find one to be such a task.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    ..Why don't they make a plunge cut track saw with a standard 7 1/4" blade? ...
    Festool does make a plunge track saw which uses a 8 1/4" blade. That's not 7 1/4, which is what you asked. But if you want a deeper cut, that's a way to go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Festool does make a plunge track saw which uses a 8 1/4" blade. That's not 7 1/4, which is what you asked. But if you want a deeper cut, that's a way to go.
    Wow, that's huge. Wasn't aware.

Edit: I just looked it up. I didn't know the TS75 used an 8 1/4" blade. I came very close to getting that saw, but went with the Makita instead. It still gave me just over 2" depth of cut at much less cost.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 12-04-2018 at 10:51 AM.

I didn't know the TS75 took a 8 1/4" blade either and I own one... I did know it took a 210mm blade but I had never clicked the conversion button in my head, which I have to do otherwise it stays in its native format in my brain.

Actually, Festool did make a 7 1/4" tracksaw or specifically a 190mm one, the TS65. While I don't "know" the reasoning I assume they split the line into a two in order to have a lighter more maneuverable 160mm saw and a heavier more powerful and deeper cutting 210mm saw which I guess sells more saws, in the end, it worked on me...
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 12-04-2018 at 8:56 PM.