Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What tasks intimidate you

I started this thread so here is what intimidates me. My wife likes red oak. Every time I hear "You know what I think you should make for us" I want to run and hide. Here comes the red oak and all that goes with it, splinters, grain you could hide a semi in, and endless sharpening, and the smell. Why she doesn't like walnut, cherry, "It's too bland".
    Jim

Pepper making masks 11-7-2012.jpgMy friend turned a Walnut tree in his backyard into a dining room table, but making a sawmill with a 50cc chainsaw.
    I like small projects, like chisel handles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    Teaching my husband wood working. I love him to death but it's better for the entire world if he never holds a chisel again :P
    That would be an entertaining video - thanks for the smile. Anyway, for me, it's chopping mortises accurately.

I’m getting ready to cut 10 dados in an entertainment center I’m building. They’re all over the place and obviously there’s no room for error. Especially when a piece of ash plywood costs $120 a sheet and I bought 2. I cut 2 the other day and spent about 2 hours measuring, remeasuring, and setting everything up to make a cut that took 30 seconds lol.

Related to glue ups.

Making that first glue up of a carcass or project. Especially if it is something I came up with without all the drawing angles. Because as soon as it is glued up and dried, I think that "you know, if you would have mortised or this piece of hardware first, it would be much easier." Or forgetting that a piece should have been cut first...

Chairs. Not the aspect of making the pieces, but getting all the angles right.