Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Electric cars

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Heh. It's been a long time since I've been at a gas station with dedicated diesel pumps: the ones here all just have a separate diesel hose/nozzle on the same pump station as the gas.
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Usually a couple pumps at a station, usually placed where you can actually get to them with a truck and trailer. Usually always have a car parked in front of them while numerous other regular gas pumps are unattended.

I had to block in two cars and the entire exit this week just to be able to get to a diesel pump.

Just another reason to try and keep my 100 gallon tank in my bed full at all times

I am surprised the Tesla drivers do not just park and block in the ICE trucks and go do some shopping. Of course the ICE trucks would probably ram them to get out and do expensive damage to the cars.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Why would you call me prejudiced? You should have called the police and reported that someone was blocking your access to the charging station. Should have been easy enough to find another charging station anyway.

Ed: removed comment
    Regarding your question:
    1. Because I read your comment before it was edited and saw that you said you took exception to my "feeling of entitlement"
    2. You still think "I" should have gone somewhere else and it is "easy enough" to find a charging station. I mention in my comment that I needed to charge to get home after a road trip (which translates to there isn't enough charge, and charging an electric car is not like running to a gas station with a jerrycan). Chargers are not as omnipresent as gas stations and there is often NOT enough charge to get you to another station.
    3. You are still trying to find issues with me handling the situation when I didn't ask for your help. Police, in my opinion, are an essential service and this situation is NOT worth a 911 call. My original post was to only tell Jim that I had been in a situation where I had been "ICE-ed" because he had heard of such things.
    Last edited by Yathin Krishnappa; 01-01-2019 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo

Darcy, blocking the diesel pumps is also discourteous behavior in the same way that blocking EV chargers is. I really don't understand what gets into some folks' heads sometimes...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I am surprised the Tesla drivers do not just park and block in the ICE trucks and go do some shopping. Of course the ICE trucks would probably ram them to get out and do expensive damage to the cars.
    Bill D.
    And why you are surprised we are kind and nice and not like third graders with big toys? Yeah, some of us grow up and learn to act civil and be courteous. Unfortunate, uh? ;-)

Seriously though, why all the hate toward Teslas and Tesla owners? I am only participating in this thread to give first hand information on electric cars and EV infrastructure, and there is unbelievable amount of bad information floating around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Darcy, blocking the diesel pumps is also discourteous behavior in the same way that blocking EV chargers is. I really don't understand what gets into some folks' heads sometimes...
    Trust me, there are not as many stations with diesel as one would think, most stations are impossible to get in an out of with a trailer (24' gooseneck) and the ones you can usually have diesel on the outside row. I have had to go inside and track someone down who was parked at the only pump. Also I refuse to fuel up at truck stops when its typically 50 cents more a gallon.

This whole thread reminds me of the South Park episode about George Clooney's acceptance speech and the smug.

Quote Originally Posted by Yathin Krishnappa View Post
    And why you are surprised we are kind and nice and not like third graders with big toys? Yeah, some of us grow up and learn to act civil and be courteous. Unfortunate, uh? ;-)

Seriously though, why all the hate toward Teslas and Tesla owners? I am only participating in this thread to give first hand information on electric cars and EV infrastructure, and there is unbelievable amount of bad information floating around.
    I have always noticed a level of smugness from hybrid and EV owners. Just last week some lady in her hybrid decided she needed to tell me I was destroying the environment with my one ton diesel truck. I told her if she could pull my trailer with her car, we could continue that conversation.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Of course, no one "blocks" the diesel pumps in the same manner as parking in a spot and leaving your car for potentially hours at time. People pull up, use the pump and leave. If you have to wait a couple of minutes for someone else to use it before you can, that's a minor inconvenience at best. It isn't like someone parks their car in front of a pump and leaves to go shopping.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have always noticed a level of smugness from hybrid and EV owners. Just last week some lady in her hybrid decided she needed to tell me I was destroying the environment with my one ton diesel truck. I told her if she could pull my trailer with her car, we could continue that conversation.
    Those are the kinds of people I complained about previously in this thread. I don't care if people want to drive electric or hybrid cars. They are welcome to do so. But when they try to get in my face and tell *ME* that I have to follow suit, that's going over the line. When the try to pass laws that give favorable treatment to electric or hybrid vehicles as a means to try to push that decision on me, that's not acceptable. But on an even playing field, electric vehicles would fail miserably. They wouldn't even be offered for sale if it wasn't for tax incentives or government regulations forcing manufacturers to put them out there. This isn't a fair competition where they are a superior product. They are an inferior product. Otherwise, they wouldn't need all of the government backing and all of the childish guilt trips you see from the holier than thou.

And they wonder why people get upset at them?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    It's too bad some people feel like such small environmental steps entitle them to a feeling of moral superiority. It's silly, for sure.

That said, there also seems to be an almost irrational animosity towards EVs, even displayed by several on this thread. Someone derisively called them "little plug in cars", someone asserted that they were wildly unsafe (when exactly the opposite is true), several have said EV owners are "entitled", etc.

I don't get it. It's a car.

I think it's more a cultural issue. I suspect that some people feel like gas cans, oil rags, filling stations, carburetors, the smell of exhaust, etc, are things people associate with their culture. They understand it, it's familiar, feels "safe", etc. The idea of a whisper-quiet electric car with technology unknown to them, linked up wirelessly to Silicon Valley networks, driven by metro-sexual latte-sipping millenials is somehow offensive to their sense of culture, self, pride, etc.

Well, there is no doubt that EVs will be a dominant force in the future. So, find your skinny jeans and schedule that manicure appointment

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    This isn't a fair competition where they are a superior product. They are an inferior product. Otherwise, they wouldn't need all of the government backing and all of the childish guilt trips you see from the holier than thou.
    The government tax incentive is a triviality in the grand scheme of it. It's nothing. People don't buy a $100k car for the $7k tax break.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Darcy, that is an unfortunate interaction. We tend to make generalizations based on interactions with a groups of people. I don't blame you because you have probably interacted with very few EV owners and maybe all of them were as condescending as that lady?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

I don't get it. It's a car.
    Me too Dan.

My answer to the OP's question was discussed here:https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....be-Open-Minded
    I'm attracted to time proven designs and simplicity. Especially in higher expense things like cars. My experience with tool batteries has me questioning the actual battery life of EV's. A hybrid isn't simple and costs more than a high mpg economy car. I know I'm just an old closed minded frugal woodworker

My frustration with tools was solved by Ridgid's lifetime battery warranty.
    I like the electric car for the simplicity potential.

I know I'm dreaming but I'd consider electric when.
    1- The purchase prices come down.
    2- Fast charging stations are brand universal.
    3- A pop in spare battery pack is the size of a jerry can and will get you as far.
    4- Big hatchbacks, station wagons or pickups are available.
    5- Oh and now that Ridgid spoiled me, the car's batteries will come with a lifetime warranty.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    They are an inferior product. Otherwise, they wouldn't need all of the government backing and all of the childish guilt trips you see from the holier than thou.

And they wonder why people get upset at them?
    I, for one, am so happy that Tesla federal tax credits ended yesterday and we can finally move past this argument! It will now be interesting to see if sales drops. Also, people don't buy $100k+ cars because they need the tax credit. I think it is a way for car manufacturers to mark up the prices and the tax incentive becomes like an investment into a new industry. I am betting on the prices of EVs coming down after the tax credits end.

If the tax incentive is trivial, then why is the government spending $7500 for the first 200,000 of from each company? Last time I checked that was $1.5 billion. a $billion here, A $billion there, and pretty soon it adds up to some real money. My objection to electric cars comes down to the government spending my tax money so that an arbitrary group of people, most of whom are already rich, get a $7500 discount on their new car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    The government tax incentive is a triviality in the grand scheme of it. It's nothing. People don't buy a $100k car for the $7k tax break.