Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Electric cars

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post

I just saw a bank of Tesla charging stations last week that I can go block and take a selfie at. Woohoo
    Why?? I am truly baffled that is something to aspire to do. I would rather see a picture taken of someone doing something nice for a stranger.

We deal with the same issues of owning a tow rig and multiple different types of trailers and facing challenges at the diesel pumps. We all have a choice in how we react to events in our lives. Sure, we are not pleased with poor behavior at the diesel pump but we would never seek out charging stations and block strangers access.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    If the tax incentive is trivial, then why is the government spending $7500 for the first 200,000 of from each company? Last time I checked that was $1.5 billion. a $billion here, A $billion there, and pretty soon it adds up to some real money. My objection to electric cars comes down to the government spending my tax money so that an arbitrary group of people, most of whom are already rich, get a $7500 discount on their new car.
    Further to Mr. Huskey's point, you might be surprised how much you (and all of us) would benefit from the development of an industry with the global potential of electric vehicles. Some of the benefits of industry economic stimulation are diffuse and not obvious to everyone on a personal level, but they are staggeringly powerful in macroeconomic terms. As fun as it can be to bash the government, sometimes there are smart people there (not necessarily the elected officials) who recognize this and that's why they use (our) tax dollars to stimulate industry growth. Looking backwards, ask any economist or student of economics how different the picture would have looked for the US without government stimulus.

You might not like a company like Tesla, but think about the employment they create, the materials purchasing they give to other companies, and the taxes they pay in to the Federal and State systems, and then think about twelve other companies that grow into the same space as the industry grows.

Next thing you know, we (the US) are vending these cars to the rest of the world and when that happens, believe me, you are benefiting in a big way, whether directly or indirectly.

And as a consumer, you are still free to buy and drive any vehicle you wish and you'll still get these benefits, because the macroeconomic growth I'm referencing is not reserved for "an arbitrary group of people". Simply stated, if the whole village wins, you win too.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 01-02-2019 at 5:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Ah, so you object to the gas cars that were made with with $81B in bailout money, too?
    Absolutely - although GM was the only real culprit. I would have preferred they went bankrupt and started all over without undue government influence. They will anyway eventually because they have no leadership.

Those having difficulty with charging stations being blocked could get an extension cord and solve their own problem. 50 ft cable ought to do just fine. Read Tesla owners forum to get info.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Those having difficulty with charging stations being blocked could get an extension cord and solve their own problem. 50 ft cable ought to do just fine. Read Tesla owners forum to get info.
    Unbelievable!

First, there wouldn't be a "problem" if the charging stations were not blocked. Second, you blame the victim for being unprepared by demanding them to "solve their own problem" when they had nothing to do with creating the problem. Third, you try to provide a solution having no clue about how superchargers and access to superchargers work. Fourth, you were so concerned about that unfounded theory of upscale grocery store customers having to pay more to subsidize charging, and yet have no problem telling someone to just go buy a "50 ft cable" in the off-chance that their charging station is blocked. Lastly, you suggest Tesla owners forum has info on this extension cord which I haven't come across -- except for the semi stories -- in 5+ years of reading the two most popular forums (it would be nice if you could provide a link and prove me wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Why?? I am truly baffled that is something to aspire to do. I would rather see a picture taken of someone doing something nice for a stranger.

We deal with the same issues of owning a tow rig and multiple different types of trailers and facing challenges at the diesel pumps. We all have a choice in how we react to events in our lives. Sure, we are not pleased with poor behavior at the diesel pump but we would never seek out charging stations and block strangers access.
    I was being facetious, I don't really give a crap about teslas, their owners or the stupid charging stations. I have more important stuff to worry about than smug.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I was being facetious, I don't really give a crap about teslas, their owners or the stupid charging stations. I have more important stuff to worry about than smug.
    If you don't give a crap about all that then then why are you even on this thread attempting wisecracks instead of worrying about your more important stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Yathin Krishnappa View Post
    If you don't give a crap about all that then then why are you even on this thread attempting wisecracks instead of worrying about your more important stuff?
    I am here to represent the fossil fuel engines that I love and will always love, especially big block chevys and pre emissions diesels

Who would have thought that people would be so xxxxxxx with a subject like this. I think the mods are about to close it.