Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Electric cars

Just curious as to what you call a proper truck?
    A commercial vehicle not a F150.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-31-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Read the news about what's going on in Europe now.
    Jim
    It seems to have been totally ignored in the US from an outsider looking in but Tesla can hold their head high even with all their problems. They have led the charge but the Europeans have grasped the opportunity with both hands.
    Chris

Most F 150's are mostly cars here. The real workhorses are the heavier duty pickups and larger. I suppose it depends on where they are located but in rural areas hills and acceleration are rarely an issue. Are your trucks that underpowered? Gas or diesel here generally perform well even toting large trailers. While delivery trucks (UPS type) could benefit from EV technology and they have placed orders for them it's mostly going to be a "show me" and prove it type thing. It will come eventually but it will take time. They have there places they make sense. I've saw the youtube videos of the Tesla racing whatever they choose. One thing I noticed is after the 3rd or 4th pass it begins derating because of I think heat build up. That isn't going to work in a truck running with either a heavy payload or towing a heavy load or high wind resistance. Just some of the issues I see that will have to be worked through.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    That must be an old report because precisely that happens in Australia now, base load is stored in a battery bank for the whole of South Australia.
    Or perhaps you should read somethingother than propaganda. According to your own government, your current power mix is still over 40% gas generated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Most F 150's are mostly cars here. The real workhorses are the heavier duty pickups and larger. I suppose it depends on where they are located but in rural areas hills and acceleration are rarely an issue. Are your trucks that underpowered? Gas or diesel here generally perform well even toting large trailers. While delivery trucks (UPS type) could benefit from EV technology and they have placed orders for them it's mostly going to be a "show me" and prove it type thing. It will come eventually but it will take time. They have there places they make sense. I've saw the youtube videos of the Tesla racing whatever they choose. One thing I noticed is after the 3rd or 4th pass it begins derating because of I think heat build up. That isn't going to work in a truck running with either a heavy payload or towing a heavy load or high wind resistance. Just some of the issues I see that will have to be worked through.
    I have been in the transport industry for many years and can only say what is happening, if we can pull .5 of a cent off our kilometre cost rate then we are jumping for joy. Until you have been involved you would not understand how much the electric truck is going to save and the advantages it will have over the diesel. It is early days yet so nothing has actually happened but it will and everyone including the drivers will be happy. One thing that will happen is that electric trucks will be confined to main highways for the most part, if you have seen the Ozzy outback there is no way electric anything will work out there...

They run stuff like this all over Oz and diesel will be around for a long time because of it.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    It's an extra $0.11/pound on the grapes

I think it's free. Drives business, I assume.
    So, everyone buying groceries subsizes the few driving E vehicles? That kind of diminishes the argument aboit the truck parking there for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    One thing that will happen is that electric trucks will be confined to main highways for the most part, if you have seen the Ozzy outback there is no way electric anything will work out there...
    With the size those 'road trains' are getting to, and the limitations on where they can go, it seems like adding another half-trailer "tender" that holds all the batteries might be an option. Refueling then becomes an unhitch-rehitch operation rather than an extended delay to recharge.

(I can't recall offhand whether Tesla is/was considering a plug-and-go battery pack for their electric big rig. Seemed like the right way to handle that market, since it concentrates the required infrastructure at existing truck stops and major depots.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Everyone already blocks the diesel pump anyway.

I actually know a lot about heavy transport. Like I said there are areas that electric makes sense. Those areas will be population centers where a vehicle may never venture outside a radius of 24 to 32 km. It's going to take a while before the technology is there to impact anything but local delivery. I think you misunderstand me and think I am an opponent. And as you say diesel transports will be around for a long time. Our road systems converted to kilometers total 6,630,497. Over 8 times the amount you have. So as you can see that it will be a long process and probably never happen for a good portion of the country. There will likely be other power sources developed that will be better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Everyone already blocks the diesel pump anyway.
    Heh. It's been a long time since I've been at a gas station with dedicated diesel pumps: the ones here all just have a separate diesel hose/nozzle on the same pump station as the gas.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    So, everyone buying groceries subsizes the few driving E vehicles?
    If that's what the grocery store thinks is best for business, sure, why's it my concern? I assume I buy some groceries which subsidize the $6 rotisserie chicken that's sold at a loss...isn't it exactly the same thing?

UPS has been running all electric trucks for the last few years. in the flat area near me. I understand they have some in San Diego California as well. Took quite awhile but now I am used to the idea that the UPS truck is almost silent. They do often have their air compressor start as they release the brakes and pull away.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    If that's what the grocery store thinks is best for business, sure, why's it my concern? I assume I buy some groceries which subsidize the $6 rotisserie chicken that's sold at a loss...isn't it exactly the same thing?
    No, not at all. I think EV owners should boycott grocery chains that do not put solar panels on the roof with free charging stations, then work it into the grocery price . I think EV owners should primarily (almost exclusively) charge their vehicles using their own personal solar panels off grid. I think EV owners should get special parking spots at the very furthest spot at all stores and workplaces. We could even put gates up around these vehicles like a little gated community. Of course I would hate to hear that we’re charging these vehicles in any shape way or form off the grid where it is possible that coal or natural gas is supplying electricity.

Let’s compare apples to apples.

Those who own EV cars, I would like to see where they are in age and income level, compared to 350 million neighbours.
    Then I would like to see them bring into the comparison of their total carbon footprint with all properties and vehicles involved. Just because you own a EV it doesn’t make you greener then your neighbour. In most situations it is reverse.

Most EV owners can afford the change, want to support the change, but not usually at a detriment to them self. Tax incentives, tax write off‘s make things more affordable to those who are looking for tax write off‘s. I mean how many people go to their accountant and say every year how do I get rid of $100,000 where it can benefit me on my taxes?

But in the end, taxes are paid by the people. Nobody should really be getting a free ride.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 12-31-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Matt, I think you over-estimate how much the "green" factor plays into this, for most people. Setting politics, tax incentives, and climate concerns aside, there is still significant demand for EVs because they perform better, are safer, quieter, more convenient, etc.

I've considered getting a used Ford Focus electric as a second car for my daily commute, but I've decided that it doesn't make sense to have two vehicles. I also don't have room in my garage for two cars with all of the large lawn equipment in my garage. I have solar power at my house, but not sure I have enough extra solar to charge a car. My solar wouldn't directly charge my car most of the time anyhow as I charge at night and don't have battery storage for my solar.

With my luck I would hop in my electric car forgetting that I am going on a longer trip and run out of power, or have to turn around to go home to get the other vehicle.