Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    In all objectivity, though, I don't understand the animosity to electric cars.
    We have no animosity to electric cars, we have an animosity to people who expect others to accept a vehicle with significant shortcomings at a higher cost, just because the pro-electric side wants it to happen. As a lot of us have said, when an electric vehicle can do 100% of what an ICE vehicle can, at the same cost, then we'll consider it. Not a moment before. Stop trying to force it on people. That's what makes us mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    We have no animosity to electric cars, we have an animosity to people who expect others to accept a vehicle with significant shortcomings at a higher cost, just because the pro-electric side wants it to happen. As a lot of us have said, when an electric vehicle can do 100% of what an ICE vehicle can, at the same cost, then we'll consider it. Not a moment before. Stop trying to force it on people. That's what makes us mad.
    ...who do you think is trying to force it upon you?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Yes, please share. Do you live someplace where electric vehicles are mandated, or proposed to be mandated?

4. I see this discussion over and over.

I support those who use electricity to reduce your carbon footprint. I would like them to only use solar charging stations, I’d like them to go to grocery stores, lumber stores,Hardware stores, Cosco’s and Walmarts that only support there trucking and sea container shipping... only using battery. I would also like the same people to use airplanes under the same restrictions... don’t preach with one hand and take with the other!

In the end it comes down to total carbon footprint. Take into fact everything. The person that is driving the Electric car that is a CEO… What are there total personal natural natural gas consumption, electrical consumption of all their homes, businesses as percent Pay out, and business carbon footprint is on the person shoulders too... do you think one Electric car is going to make a drop in the bucket? Better yet, where do you think their subsidies are coming from?

Change is going to happen slowly. But if you look financially at the top 1%, they throw out vehicles, like the other 90% throughout toilet paper.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 12-31-2018 at 1:05 AM.

One has to keep in mind the discussion (I mean on a global scale) is far more encompassing than just electric vehicles. The discussion is influenced by tons of factors from politics to pocketbooks.

My main fear about the negativity I often see in the US is that we throw away another competitive advantage we have to the rest of the world. Detroit was never really the motor city, it was the engine city but that didn't have the requisite ring. I would really like to see one or a group of US cities become the modern motor city (cities).
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    One has to keep in mind the discussion (I mean on a global scale) is far more encompassing than just electric vehicles. The discussion is influenced by tons of factors from politics to pocketbooks.

My main fear about the negativity I often see in the US is that we throw away another competitive advantage we have to the rest of the world. Detroit was never really the motor city, it was the engine city but that didn't have the requisite ring. I would really like to see one or a group of US cities become the modern motor city (cities).
    That would be great in the old big scheme of things, but why do people need to move them selves? Only the rich will be able to get to isolated areas in 10 years. The rest are worker bees. More and more people can’t afford their own vehicle. Things are moving so fast that public transit is all people can afford. Soon the old airplane trip to wherever will be the bus trip of the future. Or a mix of airplane/train/boat/bus/taxi. Even renting a car, I find 10% of today’s Youth don’t even care to be motivated to get a drivers license.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    I would like them to only use solar charging stations, I’d like them to go to [places]... only using battery. I would also like the same people to use airplanes under the same restrictions... don’t preach with one hand and take with the other!
    I really don't understand this point. The people who use electric are trying to do something. The fact that they're not doing everything shouldn't negate their effort. They're doing what they can, helping in their own way.

Does their effort infringe on you in some way ? I don't see them forcing anyone to buy an electric car who doesn't want one. If they support legislation, for instance, that is aimed to help resolve environmental issues, it won't affect everyone unless it is passed by a majority. That's the way it works with all legislation. What's with the antipathy ?

More and more people can’t afford their own vehicle.
    For what it's worth, the cost of new cars has actually been significantly decreasing over the past 20 years, and has obviously improved in fuel economy, quality, safety, and comfort.

It sounds like you see electric cars as a proxy for a sort of societal shift that is leaving people behind and changing a "way of life". That's fair. It's probably inevitable, though.

The indisputable truth is that current renewable energy technology is considerably more expensive than fossil fuels. Furthermore, it isn't even feasible on a national basis. That isn't going to change without some breakthrough technology that you can't just call up on demand. By attempting to force a shift to renewable energy at this point in time, we are agreeing to accept a dramatically lower standard of living - with the exception of the wealthy. That is the "way of life" you are talking about. I don't blame anyone for objecting to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The indisputable truth is that current renewable energy technology is considerably more expensive than fossil fuels.
    Art, respectfully, that's not true. The cost of renewable energy has been widely-reported to be on par with fossil fuels, today: https://www.businessinsider.com/sola...ecrease-2018-5

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    By attempting to force a shift to renewable energy at this point in time ....
    Again, who's forcing what ? What am I missing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Parallel to this subject, there was some interesting notation in the auto news this week that there are folks out there who have decided to harass people trying to charge up at the Tesla superchargers in some areas by blocking the spaces with big-but pick-em-up trucks and verbally abusing the electric vehicle owners. It's been dubbed "ICE-ing"... 'gotta wonder what society is coming to. Geepers...
    Jim, I've been ICE-ed once (in picture below)! And from reading the Tesla forums, I believe that this happens all over the country.

tesla-blocking.jpg

I see this discussion over and over.

I support those who use electricity to reduce your carbon footprint. I would like them to only use solar charging stations, I’d like them to go to grocery stores, lumber stores,Hardware stores, Cosco’s and Walmarts that only support there trucking and sea container shipping... only using battery. I would also like the same people to use airplanes under the same restrictions... don’t preach with one hand and take with the other!
    That's kinda extreme, maybe? But I see your point. Electric car drivers (like Prius drivers before) can act snobbish and that's very off-putting. However, there are some of us who drive electrics who understand that it cannot work for a majority of people and think of this as an experiment where we can contribute to. Like you say, there are a LOT of other ways to be contributing (e.g, supporting local produce/businesses) that are as much or more environmentally friendly than cruising around in cool electrics! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Yathin Krishnappa View Post
    Jim, I've been ICE-ed once (in picture below)! And from reading the Tesla forums, I believe that this happens all over the country.

tesla-blocking.jpg
    Were you intentionally ICE-ed or was that the only spaces available to park when he arrived?
    I think the question of paying their fair share needs to be addressed and soon. Both by the federal government and by state governments. Instead of just a fuel tax make it a mileage tax. The technology is already here but listen to people scream about their rights to drive wherever and whenever they want without anyone knowing. But all but a small percentage of larger trucks already are required to report electronically all the driver and vehicle activities. This isn't likely to happen anytime soon though. We shall see.

First global warming, than climate change, the latest is ice age. Who knows scientist are guessing just like the rest of us. If they really knew they wouldn’t be changing horses. The sky is falling just like always. By the way there are more newer cars in the affordable housing project parking lot then there are in the general neighborhood. I’m not against electric cars for what they can do they are okay. What they can’t do is the issue.
    Jim