Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    ...if you call the cops, they will not come out and tow or ticket a non-electric vehicle in those spots.
    No, it's not an argument about legality. It's about civility. It's rude to block the charging stations. Why do it except to be mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Please tell me where it's legal to park across multiple spots, I'll be sure to avoid it.
    Look at that picture again: we're not talking about a work/delivery truck. Serve him right if somebody parked his car in the spot in front of him and another in the spot behind him, and then went to a movie.
    It's legal in Texas.

No room to park that gigantic pickup truck towing that enormous 12' ATV trailer except across 4 parking spaces that aren't actually parking spaces? Puhleeze-- I've pulled into several podunk town gas stations towing a 26' Chaparral with a 40' Allegro Bus and I've never had any trouble parking it in the fuel pump area. And I only take up 4 spaces of Walmart's and big grocery store lots, and that's out in the barren regions of the lots...

Question I know the answer to-- how many of us has ever blocked the air hose at a gas station? I'm betting not one of us. Courteous people don't do that

Whoever owns that pickup/ATV is either a complete ****head or just plain stupid.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Here's a twist I saw or heard something about recently. Someone who took up a charging location with their EV not because they needed a charge but because they could blocking someone who desperately needed the charging station. I don't know whether this is fact but I surely saw it on the internet so it has to be true. This could become an issue if the popularity in urban areas increases. I know some places limit even the time for an EV. But maybe they need to be need based as well. As for parking in EV spaces it looks like 9 states and the District of Columbia have laws on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Here's a twist I saw or heard something about recently. Someone who took up a charging location with their EV not because they needed a charge but because they could blocking someone who desperately needed the charging station. I don't know whether this is fact but I surely saw it on the internet so it has to be true. This could become an issue if the popularity in urban areas increases. I know some places limit even the time for an EV. But maybe they need to be need based as well. As for parking in EV spaces it looks like 9 states and the District of Columbia have laws on it.
    I've experienced that. So, Tesla has started charging for people who "idle" at charging spots because it had become a problem grave enough to address. I've also seen Volts parked in electric car charging spots in long term parking in airports -- which is unfortunate because there are cars that may really need those spots. I've never had to use them as I plan to have a nearly full charge when long term parking. Hopefully, the technology will improve that we'll have to spend much less time charging. That's really important if we want more adopters of the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    "Fancy parking spot"? Do you consider gas pumps "fancy parking spots"? If you needed gas and someone pulled a giant trailer in front of the pumps, would you "LOL" about it?
    You don't understand the subtlety of my LOL?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Brian, I think you misunderstand. Where in the country are you finding "public" parking lots? If you stop and think about it for a minute, I think you'd realize that most "public" parking is actually owned by private companies. They are free to choose to install charging spots wherever they like. If they think a row of superchargers will attract the kind of customer they want, then they may choose to install them.

The Home Depot near me has extra-long parking spots for people with trailers. An accommodation to attract customers with trailers.
    The upscale grocery store near me has EV charging spots. I know folks who go to that store just to charge their car.

It's not EV owners "inconveniencing" or "demanding" or having "special needs". It's just market forces at work.
    How much do they charge at your upscale grocery store to charge your vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    It's legal in Texas.
    Well, my folks are dead now (they lived in Arlington at the time), so it's not like I have any reason to go there...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yathin Krishnappa View Post
    I feel that it is going to be cheaper and more reliable, but it's probably not the most important factor in buying an electric car today. There's probably no real data except for a few outlier Teslas that have done hundreds of thousands of miles. For what it's worth, my personal experience is that Tesla maintenance costs (service+tires) are on par with Porsche. Also, Tesla parts are not easily available and that combined with proprietary software which is a major component of the car makes it not easily serviceable by third party.
    There will be a heap of data from Europe, Norway has a 25% road fleet of electric and electric sales are literally taking off at a better rate than production capacity right across Europe. If the data has been compiled yet is another question altogether.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 12-31-2018 at 8:00 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    How much do they charge at your upscale grocery store to charge your vehicle?
    It's an extra $0.11/pound on the grapes

I think it's free. Drives business, I assume.

The Hyatt I stayed frequently in Fair Lakes VA prior to retirement has several charging stations. They are "pay for" setups not specific to a particular vehicle make/model.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    One has to keep in mind the discussion (I mean on a global scale) is far more encompassing than just electric vehicles. The discussion is influenced by tons of factors from politics to pocketbooks.

My main fear about the negativity I often see in the US is that we throw away another competitive advantage we have to the rest of the world. Detroit was never really the motor city, it was the engine city but that didn't have the requisite ring. I would really like to see one or a group of US cities become the modern motor city (cities).
    It is in interesting that the US manufacturers have basically ignored their domestic market but are going full speed in China to meet the governments mandated fleet percentages for electric vehicles.

The fleet owners of PROPER trucks and not the toys that get called trucks in the US are absolutely salivating at the thought of pure electric because their costs will be way less per kilometre and the reduction in trip times due to significantly better performance on hills and standing starts.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    There will be a heap of data from Europe, Norway has a 25% road fleet no electric and electric sales are literally taking off at a better rate than production capacity right across Europe. If the data has been compiled yet is another question altogether.
    Read the news about what's going on in Europe now.
    Jim

The fleet owners of PROPER trucks and not the toys that get called trucks in the US are absolutely salivating at the thought of pure electric because their costs will be way less per kilometre and the reduction in trip times due to significantly better performance on hills and standing starts.
    Just curious as to what you call a proper truck?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-31-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post

"Although alternative energy is increasingly cost-competitive and storage technology holds great promise, alternative energy systems alone will not be capable of meeting the base-load generation needs of a developed economy for the foreseeable future."

The report does not compare apples to apples. It is pricing arrays that are piggy-backing on existing conventional/nuclear supply. The cost structure would be much different if you were looking at a solar system that needed to actually meet the demand without that crutch. It is like comparing the skills of the circus guy who works over a net, to the one guy who goes out and walks the tightrope over Niagara Falls or whatever without a net. What they are doing looks the same, but it is really very different.
    That must be an old report because precisely that happens in Australia now, base load is stored in a battery bank for the whole of South Australia.
    Chris