Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars

Quote Originally Posted by Yathin Krishnappa View Post
    The insurance agent swears it has nothing to do with the Model S being red, but somehow I don't believe them. :-)
    I have never once had an insurance company ask me the color of the car when applying for coverage.
    Then again, I've only been buying car insurance for 50 years, including Porsches and Corvettes, so what do I know.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Many people do not realize a Tesla is a super fast super car. Would they be surprised to find it cost more to insure a Ferrari? For road driving a Tesla is faster then a Ferrai. I believe it is the faster production car 0-60MPH.
    Tesla doesn't have the fastest 0-60 but they are close. When you are sub 3.0 0-60 you are beginning to approach the limits of DOT tires. So a lot of high HP ICE cars are becoming highly traction limited. I am seeing more and more Teslas at the track and while they are wicked fast from 0-60 I can walk away from them on the straights like they are dragging an anchor. However, they are big family movers so they are still impressive. Now the electric supercars are a different story the Nio EP9 has run a 6:46 on the Nordschleife but still not as quick as some ICE road cars.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I have never once had an insurance company ask me the color of the car when applying for coverage.
    Then again, I've only been buying car insurance for 50 years, including Porsches and Corvettes, so what do I know.
    Did they have your VIN? If so they knew what color the car was.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Did they have your VIN? If so they knew what color the car was.
    They can certainly can obtain the paint code from the manufacturer using the VIN, but the VIN itself does not contain it.

Then again, if they actually cared (hint: they don't), they would just ask when you applied for coverage.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    They can certainly can obtain the paint code from the manufacturer using the VIN, but the VIN itself does not contain it.

Then again, if they actually cared (hint: they don't), they would just ask when you applied for coverage.
    You are correct VINs do not have paint codes in them, I also did not say they cared about the color, which I agree does not affect coverage costs. All underwriters do pull the full VIN record (they are contained in a single complete database available through multiple sources) because they do care about engine size, tranny, brakes, restraint systems, trim level etc. Sometimes they will ask the customer certain things but the actual quote comes from what the VIN record shows. The vast majority of people could not answer all the questions correctly even if they tried.

Of course you can repaint a car any color of the rainbow, including black.

7. Every insurance I have ever had has wanted pictures of the vehicle, or to have it taken to an inspection station, when you put it on the insurance. They want to verify that it has no body damage that you will then try to get them to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Every insurance I have ever had has wanted pictures of the vehicle, or to have it taken to an inspection station, when you put it on the insurance. They want to verify that it has no body damage that you will then try to get them to pay for.
    I've never had that request, ever. It might be a carrier, local demographics or state specific thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've never had that request, ever. It might be a carrier, local demographics or state specific thing.
    3 different major nationwide insurers.

Interesting. Not even once since my first vehicle at age 21 have I been asked for photos of the same, even when changing insurers. (And i'm soon to turn 62) Maybe PA's insurance law doesn't permit it.
    --

Blog Entries
    My SoCal experience is the same as Jim's with one exception about 20 years ago when I bought a second hand Jeep pickup 4x4. I don't know if the 4x4 or the Jeep brand factored in but, that was the one time I was asked for pics.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, I would guess that having a vehicle that would commonly be subjected to mods might enter into that photo request and the Jeep pickup at the time (and the new Gladiator about to be released this coming year) often get that off-road treatment with third party, expensive parts, etc. They certainly wouldn't care about my Grand Cherokee in that particular light. LOL
    --

Obviously, this has always been for used cars, never for new.

I have no experience with used outside of that very first car in about 1978, but I can see why the request might be placed.
    --

Not true for my Porsche or Corvette (11 and 9 years old respectively at time of purchase)...maybe it's just you.