Thread: WTB router plane height adjustment nut

WTB router plane height adjustment nut

I have a stanley 71 1/2 router plane and it is missing the adjustment nut.
    I thought I could just make a new one myself but it looks like it is 1/4-24 threads so I can not find a nut for cheap.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Justin,

My router plane is a Sargent, so the threads are different than yours.

To the best of my knowledge Stanley didn't use 1/4-24 threads. (that doesn't mean they didn't) They did use 1/4-28 threads. They also used 12-20 threads.

This is where having a thread gauge is a handy thing.

If you are near me, both of those taps, and a thread gauge, are in my tool kit.

A source for such taps is:

https://www.victornet.com/subdepartm...-1-2/1260.html

If a tap isn't listed, check back since their stock tends to change over time. They have a $25 minimum order so you may find a few items you can use. They also have an 800 number.

You could also try NH Tools who often lists parts on ebay.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’m pretty sure Jim is referring to New Hampshire Plane Parts. (Jim, Please correct me if I’m wrong.) They have an ebay store with seller ID of nhplaneparts. They have a none eBay website too, but I have not found the trick to searching it efficiently.

They may also do business as NH Tools as Jim mentioned, but I did not find much with a quick google search.

I have no affiliation with them but I have ordered several parts from them that have arrived promptly, well packaged, and as good or better than described.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Howdy Justin,

My router plane is a Sargent, so the threads are different than yours.

To the best of my knowledge Stanley didn't use 1/4-24 threads. (that doesn't mean they didn't) They did use 1/4-28 threads. They also used 12-20 threads.

jtk
    I counted the treads per inch and it is 24 but I will pick up a 1/4-28 and 12-20 just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Iím pretty sure Jim is referring to New Hampshire Plane Parts. (Jim, Please correct me if Iím wrong.) They have an ebay store with seller ID of nhplaneparts. They have a none eBay website too, but I have not found the trick to searching it efficiently.

They may also do business as NH Tools as Jim mentioned, but I did not find much with a quick google search.

I have no affiliation with them but I have ordered several parts from them that have arrived promptly, well packaged, and as good or better than described.

Good luck!
    I found them on ebay they have the part I need for $22 I am going to look for a bit longer be for I spend that much for the part.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    I counted the treads per inch and it is 24 but I will pick up a 1/4-28 and 12-20 just to make sure.

I found them on ebay they have the part I need for $22 I am going to look for a bit longer be for I spend that much for the part.
    Have you set a known thread against the bolt in the plane? That is kind of a poor man's thread gauge. A 1/4-20 bolt threads will nest into the threads of a 12-20 bolt. The Stanley #45 & #55 use 1/4-28 screws and bolts, if you have one of those. Before acquiring a thread gauge that was my way of checking threads.

Some parts do not show up as often as others.

You might want to set up an ebay search on the part. Sometimes you may have to purchase a pile of parts to get the one you want.

And yes, my error on the NH Tools it is NH Plane Parts. My brain's recollecter of names just wasn't working

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-05-2018 at 2:51 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I tried 1/4-28 it did not fit and 12-20 is to big

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    I tried 1/4-28 it did not fit and 12-20 is to big
    If this was checked shaft to shaft and by "to big" you mean the 12-20 threads were wider apart you likely are in the 24 threads per inch range.

My hardware browsing hasn't been very wide ranging lately. You might be able to find an inexpensive fastener with 24 threads per inch tp check the bolt on your router plane one last check before purchasing a tap to make your own adjuster.

My recollection of the Sargent router plane is its adjuster is 18 threads per inch.

jtk