Thread: Ken Onion Work Sharp On Amazon!

Ken Onion Work Sharp On Amazon!

Don't know if anyone is looking for a deal on this, but Amazon has this knife sharpener on for $86, down from $129! That's a great "Deal Of The Day", as they are calling it. I was going back and forth on it at $129, but at this price, I'll give it go. Just FYI.

Well, deal is done. Price went back up last night. I went back to order a second one and found the price hike. Bummer. When I posted on a BBQ/Smoking site I'm on, guys jumped on the deal, some buying more than one, that's why I went back. Anyhow, found the grinding attachment had been reduced as well from $79, down to $65, so I jumped on that right away. Knife sharpeners love that attachment.

That was a pretty decent deal. I had a deal through a company affiliate a few years ago to where i bought that KO edition for $50. I dont use it for woodworking, but it produces a pretty decent edge on my kitchen knives. Despite having $800+ in stones, i cant hand sharpen a knife to save my life. This little belt grinder with a stroping belt and grit does a good job. Im not winning any wacky tomato competition, but it is fast and easy. Does the trick just fine for my shuns and wustoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    That was a pretty decent deal. I had a deal through a company affiliate a few years ago to where i bought that KO edition for $50. I dont use it for woodworking, but it produces a pretty decent edge on my kitchen knives. Despite having $800+ in stones, i cant hand sharpen a knife to save my life. This little belt grinder with a stroping belt and grit does a good job. Im not winning any wacky tomato competition, but it is fast and easy. Does the trick just fine for my shuns and wustoffs.
    Patrick, funny...I recently got into hand sharpening knives. Maybe it was just blind luck, but after viewing a ton of vids on YT, I'm able to get a good edge on my Miyabi kitchen knives. That said, sometimes it is a pain to bring out the stones and set them all up. For the lesser knives, I bought the WS and I'm hoping it will get me pretty darn close to what I like.
    I also have a Tormek, but just couldn't get a consistent edge on the kitchen knives. I'm considering a finer stone, cuz I just couldn't go from stone to strop and remove the most of the grind marks.

I can get chisels sharp without much trouble but I’ve struggled with the kitchen knives myself. I like the design of this tool but have never tried one. I bet it works well. I have found a method that works for me. I will start with a 220 belt on my 1 x 60 sander to get the edge formed and the burr going. Then I switch to my spiderco sharpmaker and can quickly go from dull knife to shaving hairs. I just don’t have the control to do it with stones. And the ceramic sticks cut too slow to form an initial edge.

But sharpening is a lot like marriage: There’s a lot of different ways to do it right so find a way that works for you. And never forget your wife can stab you with a dull knife as easy as she can with a sharp one.