Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Another use for my Shooting Board

There is a lot of visual media on youtube. It is not a very long or difficult procedure, not an all day thing. It is probably better to watch someone doing it before attempting your first square. If you want to get crazy accurate, you'll need a small metrology set up. But a reasonably straight edge and pencil line will get you something that I think will be useful out of the old tool and worth the modest effort to bring an heirloom back into service. Hopefully no one gets upset by what I just said.
    Dojo Kun, 1: Be humble and polite.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Davis View Post
    Kory and/or Simon, I have a lovely old try square -- wood, brass(?), and steel (?) -- that used to belong to my grandfather. Since I'm 72, it was a llooonnnggg time ago when my grandfather used this square! I would love to use it, but end up using a cheap modern version that is at least SQUARE! Sadly, my grandfather's is not quite true. How big of a process is it to get a square reasonably back in shape for use in finer woodworking? I am FAR from a metal worker, but if either of you could tell me how to get this back true, or point me to a good source of instruction, I'd be pleased to try.
    Don't ask Simon! He'll tell you it's not possible to true your square within an acceptable tolerance, so you might as well just throw it away. Or take it to a machine shop and pay them to true it for you, since there's virtually no one with the capability to true it with a file.

All you need is a true square for reference, a reliable straight edge, and perhaps a hardened steel scribe to mark a line on the square to be trued. I prefer this to a pencil line, since if you score it with the scribe a few times the steel will give you a visual cue when you have reached your mark with the file - if you're filing carefully you'll see a little wire edge form as you reach the gauge line, similar to the wire edge formed when sharpening a bevel on a low-ish grit stone. When you see this wire edge, STOP FILING! That's your cue that you're there. Take your time, be patient, and don't try to remove too much material at once. Take smooth long strokes with the file, and don't saw back and forth. Good luck!
    Last edited by brian zawatsky; 12-03-2018 at 8:39 PM. Reason: Added the constructive bit...
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Don't ask Simon! He'll tell you it's not possible to true your square within an acceptable tolerance, so you might as well just throw it away. !
    Be careful here, Brian. Jim is watching and he may ask you to prove it (i.e. quote my words from any of my posts)! Don't worry, even if you can't (and I know you can't), I won't take your remark as insulting.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Be careful here, Brian. Jim is watching and he may ask you to prove it (i.e. quote my words from any of my posts)! Don't worry, even if you can't (and I know you can't), I won't take your remark as insulting.

Simon
    Just try it, you’ll have all the proof you need.

I suggest that the Moderators close this thread. Seems like it has run it's course. There's not much new being said.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Just try it, you’ll have all the proof you need.
    This "contrarian" just tried, but could not find it. Could you please help?

By the way, I am not the one who needs the proof. I am not the one who accuses....

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I suggest that the Moderators close this thread. Seems like it has run it's course. There's not much new being said.
    Fred
    No objection, as clearly some people who accuse run out of logic. They think it is a shouting match.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    This "contrarian" just tried, but could not find it. Could you please help?

By the way, I am not the one who needs the proof. I am not the one who accuses....

Simon
    I offered practical advice to Clarke, who wants to true an heirloom square. By “try it”, I meant that perhaps you might actually try to do it for yourself. You’ll find it’s not that hard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Davis View Post
    Kory and/or Simon, I have a lovely old try square -- wood, brass(?), and steel (?) -- that used to belong to my grandfather. Since I'm 72, it was a llooonnnggg time ago when my grandfather used this square! I would love to use it, but end up using a cheap modern version that is at least SQUARE! Sadly, my grandfather's is not quite true. How big of a process is it to get a square reasonably back in shape for use in finer woodworking? I am FAR from a metal worker, but if either of you could tell me how to get this back true, or point me to a good source of instruction, I'd be pleased to try.
    PM sent.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Here is a video on filing an out of square try square to bring it back into square:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enEYzTXg2Jg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)