Thread: Edge Joint with Dovetails

Edge Joint with Dovetails

I have a friend that wants me to help him build a cutting board, and one of his design elements is joining two of the boards with dovetails. We fought with it yesterday for a while, but since my Leigh jig is only 12", and his cutting boards is 14" long, we just weren't able to come up with a way to consistently get the spacing right, and it was just too many to try and hand cut. After thinking about this overnight, I'm started to think this is a bad idea to begin with since the dovetails would be going with the grain, instead of cross grain as they normally are on a corner. It seems like this would be an easy place for the piece to fail. Just wanted to throw this out there and get your guys thoughts.
    Clark Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Harbaugh View Post
    I have a friend that wants me to help him build a cutting board, and one of his design elements is joining two of the boards with dovetails. We fought with it yesterday for a while, but since my Leigh jig is only 12", and his cutting boards is 14" long, we just weren't able to come up with a way to consistently get the spacing right, and it was just too many to try and hand cut. After thinking about this overnight, I'm started to think this is a bad idea to begin with since the dovetails would be going with the grain, instead of cross grain as they normally are on a corner. It seems like this would be an easy place for the piece to fail. Just wanted to throw this out there and get your guys thoughts.
    I have seen this done a couple of times and it didnt seem to have any issues. I also think that it is a cool look and am going to try it eventually