Thread: Christmas gadget ideas

Christmas gadget ideas

Hi all,

My wife and her family are looking for Christmas ideas for me.

What are some cool gadgets or ideas around 50-100$? I live ten minutes from woodpecker so I have a few ideas from them, digital angle finder, a better hand saw.

Any other ideas?

I’m a hobbyist who set up their first shop this year.

Blog Entries
    A Beall or Wixey angle indicator

A Veritas apron plane, you won;t believe how many times you will use it.

A Kreg jig set

A set of Forstner bits
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Apron plane is a good idea.

I have the others besides the angle guide which I have on the list.

Thanks for the input!

We had a thread here 6 ms or so ago that gathered a ton of great tools for under $100. I just searched for it and couldnt find it. (DRAT!! That was a great thread!) The one I did find from a year ago has no price limit, but still had good stuff. LINK.

A few things from me though:
    * Transfer punches. It is amazing how often I use these. Read the description and see why. LINK.
    * A set of 4 inch dividers (I have 2 sets on my own Christmas list.)
    * Utilitas hook rules. I like these because the "0" is at one end, on one side, but at the other end on the other side. LINK
    * 4 inch double square. I like the ones made by PEC. Amazon sells several. They also sell 6". (I didnt see any at Harry Epstein today when I checked - they're cheaper there.)
    * Any Freud Quadri-cut router bit is a big winner
    * Router attachment for your Dremel
    * Holdfast(s) for your work bench. I like these.
    * Clamps.
    * Good screwdrivers.
    * Small size deadblow hammer. (I have 2.)
    * Brad point drill bits
    * Countersink bit
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I will second the Veritas apron plane. Lost my first one,had to replace it. Also at Lee Valley the new micro adjust wheel gauge,it is on my list this year.

A Lee Valley shop apron.

It makes me look official and gives me a place for a pencil, a small square etc.

Or you could do what I do, I don't accept Christmas presents unless they're donations to charity.

My immediate family pitches in and we fund Christmas dinner for 100 people at a local mission...............Rod.

I suggested the charity thing to my two grown up, 20 something, kids. I got s stink eye stare from from Son and the comment "Are you trying to make Santa and the Elves redundant?"

It's sad to say, I've got to the point where I look at several woodworking online stores and have a tough time coming up with a gadget, jig, etc., that I really want, let alone need.

This happened to me about 15 years ago, I always looked forward to walking upon an down the tool isle at the big box stores, then after several trips, I realized there was nothing there of any real use to me.

so I'm looking for inspiration from this thread. Help me please....
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 12-03-2018 at 4:04 PM.

Nice position to be in! (I think I'm half-a-dozen tools away from being in the same position --- except I'll also need a shop and a bandsaw, and either a planer or a thickness sander)

Some nice lumber might be a good option --- or a book?

Not strictly woodworking related, but last year I gave all of my brothers-in-law a pair of the Knipex Mini Pliers Wrench. I keep these on my most any time I am in the shop. Very handy when you have a mixture of tools with SAE & Metric nuts and bolts that need adjustment. Much handier than an adjustable wrench and will not mar up your fittings. The small size works on fasteners up to garden hose size.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Ludden View Post
    Not strictly woodworking related, but last year I gave all of my brothers-in-law a pair of the Knipex Mini Pliers Wrench.
    While I prefer NWS pliers to Knipex the pliers wrench is frickkin' genius! I have 4 sizes and use them all the time, in fact just yesterday they were the perfect tool for a household job.

8605180-00-1.jpg

For anyone that has not used them the action keeps the smooth jaws parallel and you compress the handles they "replace" and an adjustable wrench in most situations but are far less likely to mar the fastener.

I tend to have marking and measuring tools on my "Santa" list, over the years I have gotten a lot of nice WP stuff.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Not seen those Knipex plier wrench before, ordered a couple of pair, thanks

I take three paths:

1) put some specific items in the Amazon cart and others can pick/choose what to get from it
    2) Encourage some specific items (like this list). My additions this year are clamps. Hard to go wrong with clamps.
    3) Cash, which will be used for a specific purpose. This year it is WOOD I want to buy off CL. I will share with them what I bought with the cash and then what I made from the wood (and it may even be for something I gift back to them like a picture frame or box, etc). Its not about the cash.

It is a great problem and I am blessed. But at the same time am dang difficult to buy gifts for. I dont really want more cluttery stuff, so it has to be pretty specific for me to enjoy it and there is no chance that others would know what that was.

Sponsoring a charity is a regular year long activity but I like the sentiment.

Tweezers with a magnifying lense attached. Great for getting splinters.