Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router bit recommendations

It's relatively easy to get decent quality cutters at reasonable prices with online shopping at both woodworking concerns as well as through Amazon and EBAY. You can also opt for less expensive bits "of various colors" for those profiles that are "very occasional use" and go for higher end cutters for the few that you use all the time. Everything doesn't need to match in brand, quality and cost. While I'm an Amana fan for a number of things I use (which includes some insert tooling), I've been buying Whiteside compression bits and HTC (US0 or Yongo (China) for the .125 end mills and ball nose cutters I've been using a lot lately with my CNC....the price is right off Amazon or EBAY and they both perform well for me. A lot of the bits in my cabinet for hand-held router use are Infinity, Whiteside, Freud and the old Jessada, I have a whole bunch of profiles I bought inexpensively from Lee Valley (green paint) and some others that are yellow, red and blue that came from "wherever" including the 'borg over the years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    The OP was asking for recommendations for "good quality bits that are not crazy expensive". Most of you are suggesting the high quality and higher priced bits, and not what he is asking for.
    I too buy better bits for my higher usage bits, but the Woodline bits that I suggested are quite good and very reasonably priced. I have quite a few of the single bits and about 8 sets, including round over, ogee, and bull nose in both 1/4 and 1/2" shanks.

Charley
    The OP mentioned "$25-$40 a bit." The vast majority of the Whitesides I use are in that price range or lower.

I haven't tried Infinity bits, are they made in the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    The OP mentioned "$25-$40 a bit." The vast majority of the Whitesides I use are in that price range or lower.

I haven't tried Infinity bits, are they made in the U.S.?
    Infinity is the successor to Jesada (same family owns the company). Toured their bit-making facility in Oldsmar, FL several years ago; think they still make their bits there.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Infinity is the successor to Jesada (same family owns the company). Toured their bit-making facility in Oldsmar, FL several years ago; think they still make their bits there.
    That's good to know, Infinity is one of my go to online stores.

Cheap: Yonico
    Expensive: Whiteside and Freud

Another recommendation for Whiteside. Theres are the only bits I use/own.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Try Eagle-America.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Try Eagle-America.
    AFAIK the upper level "Eagle" bits are made by Whiteside. The MLCS bits are Asian in origin.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

What Van says. Just got their catalog and there was a significant difference in price between the made in the USA and the MLCS bits.

For me if I'm cutting plywood, MDF, or cheap wood I go with the MLCS, Woodline, or some Craftsman that I still have. I've also used Chinese made end mills as spiral cuttrers. For quality cuts it's Whiteside, CMT, or Infinity. I still have some PRC (Paso Robles Carbide) that the late Pat Warner endorsed and got me hooked on. Sad they went under because they made a great router bit.