Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mortise first or tenon first

mortise first or tenon first

Which should I do first, the mortise or the tenon?

Thanks,
    Jim

Whichever is harder for you to adjust is what you should cut first.

For me, I prefer to mortise first then do the tenon.

Typically I do the mortise first, because it is easier to size and adjust the tenon than the mortise. For convenience, I like to size the mortise to one of my chisels or a shade larger.

And, I do the tenons first.....just because it works better for me...tenons are sized to the width of the chisel I would be using...YMMV
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-02-2018 at 2:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Do it in the order it is said, mortise & tenon. Otherwise we would probably call it tenon & mortise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Do it in the order it is said, mortise & tenon. Otherwise we would probably call it tenon & mortise.

jtk

Mortice first for me. I mark both mortice and tenon with the same gauge, and expect that they will fit from them. However, sometimes you need to widen it slightly (if there is reason to straighten it).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Whichever is harder for you to adjust is what you should cut first.

For me, I prefer to mortise first then do the tenon.
    +1 on both points.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

jtk
    JIM,

My chuckle for the day. As good a reason as any for something that makes no never mind,

ken

9. I always do the mortise first because it's easier to adjust the tenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    Which should I do first, the mortise or the tenon?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Equally well either way.
    Jim

Only matters if you absolutely need to cut one first to figure out the lay-out for the other. My go to is mortise first to use chisel width for size.

It's easier to make a tenon larger than a mortise smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bent View Post
    It's easier to make a tenon larger than a mortise smaller.
    I would say it's easier to trim the tenon smaller or pare the mortise larger. LOL Which method are you advocating?

jtk
    It is M&T, not T&M, because someone knew the order of the letters in the alphabet!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Kory Cassel View Post
    I would say it's easier to trim the tenon smaller or pare the mortise larger. LOL Which method are you advocating?
    I think he is saying that once you mess up the mortise/tenon fit, its easier to come back and, for example, glue a shaving on to the tenon cheek then to make the mortise narrower.
    I think in general, for a mortise made with a mortise chisel and a hand sawn tenon, most folks would advocate doing the mortise first to define the the thickness of tenon you are shooting for. I saw my tenons a little fat and dial in the fit with a router plane. It yields tenon cheeks that are perfectly co-planer to the workpiece. That sort of precision is more difficult to obtain inside a tenon excavation.