Thread: How hard would it be to build a galvo? Where ya at Kev and Matt Knott?

How hard would it be to build a galvo? Where ya at Kev and Matt Knott?

What would I need to build a galvo?

1. Scanhead
    2. Laser source
    3. Driver
    4. Software

Other items I question are the laser dots for focus, is that native to most machines or something that can be added?

Any other ideas, or is this crazy?

I know better than to think I could build a plotter, but a galvo seems like only a few parts and pieces.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

It’s not an impossible task by any means. The issue is knowing what pins on the card go to what pins on everything else. All that stuff is somewhat matched. For example, let’s say you wanted to upgrade an old driver board to something with more features (marking on the fly). You’d have to know which wires or pins did what and how to map them to the requirements of the new board. 1 wrong thing and you might damage the electronics on the source. Need help? Good luck finding someone from China. The guys that know, generally, don’t speak English. My advice would be buy it all from Jz, then you might be able to get a little support.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Scott. The reason I question it is I've found options to buy everything separately, and very decently priced, but I'm scared for the reason you brought up. Another hypothetical. I have access to everything but the mount and laser focus indicator. Meaning everything else is already configured. Would you consider trying then?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Thanks Scott. The reason I question it is I've found options to buy everything separately, and very decently priced, but I'm scared for the reason you brought up. Another hypothetical. I have access to everything but the mount and laser focus indicator. Meaning everything else is already configured. Would you consider trying then?
    Would I personally try it? No. Not because I don't like adventure but because the prices for them is so cheap that unless I could get the thing put together and running in a day or two, then I'd be losing money. I'm long past my desire to spend time building machines. I'd much rather pay for something that already runs so I can start making money with it the day it hits the floor. But that's just my personal preference. Any time I spend tinkering is $100 per hour in lost revenue so it doesn't take long for that to add up. That's only relevant if you have work, which we do. If you have nothing to do, then the time is less valuable in the equation.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.