Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight Simulator Build - woodworking distraction

Flight Simulator Build - woodworking distraction

Well, for the last 2 or 3 months, when not traveling for work or whatnot, I’ve been pulled away from normal wood working projects building a flight simulator for my son. This has been completely made up on the fly using some purchased parts and some scraps on hand in the shop. We are getting close to being ready to move this to his room and get it connected to the 55” front screen. Phase 2 will be framing in two side walls with 23” monitors as the planes side windows.

As my 13 year old has taught himself to fly, and taught him self air traffic control, we have been slowly embracing his interest. 2 years ago we gave him 2 hours in a real 737 simulator to which the facility owner indicated he was blown away and offered him an internship when he turned 18, and now we are building a Cessna style home simulator. Don’t know if he will be a pilot but I’m hopeful that as we finish this it helps him realize his dreams.

Figured i would share some progress pictures for anyone interested.

p3209203674-4.jpg

p3209203684-4.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 12-01-2018 at 6:57 PM.

Greg, my hat's off to you!
    At the risk of blasphemy, your project is more important than woodworking-it's keeping both of you engaged with each other and whatever happens in the next 6 years or so, NOTHING will ever replace your concern and appreciation of his interests.
    It's what being a parent is all about.
    Wish the world had more of you.
    Aaron (foster/adoptive/natural parent)
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

This is awesome. My son and I had interest in cars. He wanted a 69 Merc Cougar. We bought it and found out the trans was not the correct one. Together we pulled the trans replaced the part of the trans that was incorrect and reinstalled the trans. That was a bonding moment. To this day my son and I are close.

You will not regret taking the time for project that is his interest. More parents need to do what you are doing.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thanks guys. We are very close and when I saw his commitment and natural aptitude I decided to try to take it to the next level in support of his current interests and dream. Personally I’m still rooting for doctor or similar but at 13 he has a long time to decide what his future will hold. In the mean time we will continue to try to foster his imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Thanks guys. We are very close and when I saw his commitment and natural aptitude I decided to try to take it to the next level in support of his current interests and dream. Personally I’m still rooting for doctor or similar but at 13 he has a long time to decide what his future will hold. In the mean time we will continue to try to foster his imagination.
    With a pilot shortage growing larger each day, I wouldn't worry about his wealth as a pilot. One airline recently starting hiring pilots to be, meaning they had never flown an aircraft? The retirement age was bumped from 60 to 65 not too many years ago. This was due to a couple things. When the majors went bankrupt, pilots lost their pensions, so they needed more working years, and the military isn't cranking out pilots like it once did. It's not only the airlines, but the transportation industry as a whole. Look on the back of any semi you are following and see if they are begging for help. A couple of the western railroads are now offering signing bonuses to come to work for them. Just a few years ago, there were a hundred applicant for each job, but not so any more

Greg, that is a really cool project. I don't know what the age is, but maybe real flying lessons are in order for the both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    With a pilot shortage growing larger each day, I wouldn't worry about his wealth as a pilot. One airline recently starting hiring pilots to be, meaning they had never flown an aircraft? The retirement age was bumped from 60 to 65 not too many years ago. This was due to a couple things. When the majors went bankrupt, pilots lost their pensions, so they needed more working years, and the military isn't cranking out pilots like it once did. It's not only the airlines, but the transportation industry as a whole. Look on the back of any semi you are following and see if they are begging for help. A couple of the western railroads are now offering signing bonuses to come to work for them. Just a few years ago, there were a hundred applicant for each job, but not so any more
    Bruce has it right. There is quite a lot of concern about not just pilot shortages but maintenance techs as well. The military used to buy planes by the hundreds or thousands and pilots flew for the military for a few years then followed a well established route to the airlines. Today the military has fewer airplanes and are retaining pilots longer. If I were a youngster looking at an aviation career today, I'd consider the Air Force as a reserve pilot. I knew a young guy who was able to get a slot as an Air Force reserve pilot on the C5. I think he had to do 2 years active duty then 20(?) years reserve. A mid 20's guy with heavy transport qualifications and experience? Every air carrier in the world is going to be saying "Come on Down!" Airlines are well acquainted with military reserve pilots so I doubt that'd be a deterrent though they probably wouldn't want too high a percentage of their work force subject to call up.

That's awesome! Wish I had that when I was younger. The airlines are definitely hiring but anything can change!

Phase 1 complete with dash/seat cockpit installed with larger 55” front screen. Next up will be the two 23” side window screens. Then some basic boxing in those screens to limit outside world view.

p3239341278-3.jpg

p3239341285-3.jpg

Super cool Greg!
    As a Captain for American Airlines, I can assure you the looming “pilot shortage” is very real. At American, we will be retiring apx half of our seniority list in the next 10 years. Because of the huge demand for air travel now and in the future coupled with a shortage of pilots, the profession is and will be in a very good position.
    I got both of my boys into R/C model flying. Its a great way to develop their S/A (situational awarness) which is vital in being a pilot.
    I also started flying early (16) then after college flew in the USAF as T38 instructor pilot. If you ever have any questions about civilian flight training, military training, or commercial airline careers, PM me anytime.

Merry Christmas

5 years later and still in use and my son still wants to be a pilot.

IMG_2204.jpg

Very nice Greg and the fact it's still in use and he still wants to be a pilot is an indicator of how worthwhile and well done your project is.
    I got MS Flight Simulator 2020 over a year ago and with other distractions I really haven't progressed very far. It blows me away when I see what other people are doing with it and how much capability is contained in it - in spite of some shortcomings. It really is a full-time job/hobby just to learn it well and my piecemeal approach to it isn't really the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    5 years later and still in use and my son still wants to be a pilot.

IMG_2204.jpg
    Good for him, Greg. As John indicates above there is a real concern about lack of qualified pilots in the not-so-distant future. I have a couple thoughts. One, if he has any health abnormalities or concerns that would preclude his holding an FAA medical, find out about it now rather than after investing money on lessons. 14 CFR 67 will provide an overview of FAA medical standards. Second is to think about what he would do if god forbid, he develops a condition that will preclude his holding a first class FAA medical. Having a college degree, aviation related or not is pretty much mandatory for the better aviation jobs and may provide a fall back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Very nice Greg and the fact it's still in use and he still wants to be a pilot is an indicator of how worthwhile and well done your project is.
    I got MS Flight Simulator 2020 over a year ago and with other distractions I really haven't progressed very far. It blows me away when I see what other people are doing with it and how much capability is contained in it - in spite of some shortcomings. It really is a full-time job/hobby just to learn it well and my piecemeal approach to it isn't really the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Good for him, Greg. As John indicates above there is a real concern about lack of qualified pilots in the not-so-distant future. I have a couple thoughts. One, if he has any health abnormalities or concerns that would preclude his holding an FAA medical, find out about it now rather than after investing money on lessons. 14 CFR 67 will provide an overview of FAA medical standards. Second is to think about what he would do if god forbid, he develops a condition that will preclude his holding a first class FAA medical. Having a college degree, aviation related or not is pretty much mandatory for the better aviation jobs and may provide a fall back.

We still have a little time, but absolutely on the college degree part. It's one of my requirements on being allowed to use the college fund money.

Also, good idea on getting the FAA level medical/physical checkup before investing money. The cost of the lessons process is not cheap. Thanks.

With regards to the simulator, we built that to help grow an interest. He has gone on to self learn to fly, serve in ATC roles, etc. We've paid for a full 737 simulator visit and he did the full flight on his own with the instructor riding along quietly. How on earth someone learns this without any formal instruction is beyond me. Smart cookie. The instructor said that he would have no problem calling my son up from the back of a live 737 in emergency and asking him to land the plane. Doh!

The above said, I do realize that a simulator is far different than the real thing, but he certainly has the overall mechanics, processes and lingo down at this point to make a pretty good start. We will see if his interest changes in the next year or two, but I'm doubting it will. But, college has to be his top priority for the very reason you point out. You never know what moment you may not be able to fly and need a backup plan.

He should seriously consider being a pilot for the military. Nothing like building flight hours you don’t have to pay for!