Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder injury

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Surgeon said it would never get better but may get worse. He said therapy may work to relive some pain but the pain at night would be the problem. I have lived with this pain for a year now and it seems to be just as bad as when it started. During the summer it wasn't as bad so I thought it was getting better.
    Depending on the thickness of the tear as to the pain level. A full thickness tear such as mine tends to become less of a problem or mine certainly has but the shoulder that got operated on had a smaller tear and I had no choice and had to have the op. My right was torn 30 years ago and as I have gotten older it is to the point now where it gives me nil problems at all.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Well tomorrow I go in for rotator cuff surgery My right shoulder. I have been in a lot of pain lately. I think I am ready I did a bunch of stuff so to get ready for it. My worry is the weather now since I live out in the country. I tried teaching my wife how to run the tractor but if worse comes to worse I guess I could do it as it has a shuttle shift and power steering also she can use the snow blower. I ended up getting a different bed that is a recliner. I have a lazy boy but I tried sleeping in it and I get real stiff. What I will miss most about the bed is we have a water bed and it is so nice to get in a warm bed.

My approach after the op was to start physio ASAP because the shoulder is basically unused for 6 weeks or was in my case. The op is a nothing event, the recovery is the issue. They insisted I would have major pain afterwards but that only occurred when trying to sleep laying down. Semi reclining sounds like a good idea.
    Chris

Not to scare you but my father had a shoulder issue and he delayed replacement surgery. All went well and the recovery was textbook. The only problem was that he had delayed surgery so long that his limited, pre-surgery range of motion caused his shoulder muscles to entropy. He never really regained his full range of motion which causes him issues activity-wise to this day. While his an extreme case, be cognizant that sometimes delaying what may or may not be inevitable can have more serious unintended consequences.

just got home and everything went well. fingers are numb but that is do to a nerve block that they said would wear off in a day.

Ice will be your best friend. It's better than any pain med, honestly.
    And if you are taking pain meds, make sure you're taking a stool softener and drinking pear juice.

I've had two surgeries on my right shoulder and it sucks. No way around it. Be diligent about PT.

I have a chiller that someone here recommended here. they told me to use it all the time . My wife got some stool softeners and I think I am good. it sucks doing everything with my left hand. my wife and I joked about me getting a cnc cut job after surgery and guess what. I got home and what was in my email but a cnc cut job. luckily I set up the table with the most use material and cut down the other hat they use a lot so I can handle it.

I'm just over 2 weeks out and start PT next week does anyone know what exercises that will help and how long did you go to PT

Don't overthink it the physio will asign the exercises. I started two days after the op and the physio went on for months from memory.
    Chris

I think I did 12 weeks with the physical therapist after my last surgery. Different injury/condition, but I'd imagine many similar exercises.
    Range of motion focus to start...raising your arms at certain angles in front, to the side, and behind. Internal and external rotation. Possibly wall pushups with an extension to force your scapula back. Wall circles with an exercise ball. Bicep curls. Strengthening will start with soup cans and light bands. Holding a few ounces out in front of you and making little circles.

Having said all that, your PT will dictate your program. Follow it to a T, and do all the at home exercises. But don't go crazy and do extra. It's baby steps, and doing it methodically and on schedule is key.
    You're going to get frustrated and bored. It's going to seem slow. But suddenly, you'll be six weeks in and doing three times what you started out being able to do. Play the long game.

Blog Entries
    Wall circles with a ball caused me to become concerned should my shoulder become overpowered by rotating too wide and having to catch myself falling forward.

Both of my shoulders had massive tears and were longterm. The muscles had atrophied and the tendon had dried up. The tendon was cut, the stretched very hard to where they could be screwed to the bone.
    Post surgery beyond 15 years, I have very little pain but absolutely no strenght in either arm or shoulder.

As others have pointed out, follow your doctor 's orders to the T.
    Over do it and you may not get a second chance.

Blog Entries
    Oh, and if the next morning the pain is beyond the reach of the pain meds, don't be shy about asking to have a nerve in the side of your neck deadend. It is instantaneous relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    ...since riding places the muscles, back and shoulders in a constrained state for extended time with a limited range of motion then I would be dubious of road biking as proper rehab.
    Surely this.

Recommend finding a different form of exercise, like swimming, for awhile, to confirm. Also a regular regimen of deep tissue massage (shiatsu); just work through the initial pain.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I for one gotta say the physical therapy did not help.
    I hated it but I had to do it for insurance reasons.
    I really think it did more harm than anything.
    I'm OK today and I'm glad I had it done but I
    sure hope I don't ever have to do it again.

I completely tore/separated two tendons on my rotator cuff. They put in eight expensive little anchors. My surgeon had done well over 2000 shoulder surgeries and this was the second time that they used that many anchors ($800 apiece). My doctor told me that it would take a year for my shoulder to 100% recover. I didn't believe him. I went through extensive therapy. Initially 3 days a week (all passive motion controlled by a second person moving my arm) then 2 days a week. In between visits I did the same therapy at home. I made all of the various contraptions that they used at the PT (physical Terrorism) place. Sometimes my therapist pushed a little too hard and I would get a set back. So we fine tuned the PT to the point that it was always helping. So my PT routine changed weekly. I think that after about 5 or 6 months that my insurance stopped paying for the PT. I continued on my own dime for about 2 or 3 months. At this point I am 100% recovered. I have full range-of-motion.

At the same time, my SIL had rotator cuff surgery and her company (Mayo Clinic, Rochester) only paid for two PT visits. I don't know how dedicated she was in her independent PT. But today she cannot comb her hair or put in ear rings with that arm and can no longer golf.

So, my "message" is to focus on the PT. Duplicate their equipment and gadgets and on the "off days" do the same PT at home. But don't push yourself to the point that your progress goes backwards.