Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering replacing my planer - opinions?

Ive had one of those (a jet, 4 post, 15" planer with straight knives) that I bought new in 1999 and I have run 7 or 8 sets if knives in it in that time. Its got carbide blades on it now. It has never let me down and feeds chips to the dust collector nicely. Its a great machine. That said, I just bought an older minimax fs35 to save a little space in the crowded shop. That jet will probably get stored somewhere as I doubt that I would get what I think its worth if I were to try and sell it.
    Last edited by scott lipscomb; 12-02-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I've owned that planer for some 20 years. It's a rock solid little bugger. It is loud, I'll give you that, but the snipe issue is resolved in the setup. Surface quality is a function of the knife care. It's not a Byrd head, so you have to pay attention to grain direction, but it can give a very nice surface if the blades are maintained.
    Jet 15" stationary, versus a bench top planer? I'd take the Jet.
    Me too and +1. I only sold mine when I found a bigger planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Could you explain that please? Straight knife v spiral?
    Not sure what you want me to explain? Both planers were straight knife. Both planers were on the low end of planers in terms of performance, finish quality, precision, sound levels, dust collection, ease of use, and pleasure to use. I am not trying to sound snooty, they are what they are and are certainly suitable for many woodworkers and their budgets.

John may I ask what you have for a planer now ?

I have a Martin T45 with Xplane head.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    How much are you getting the planer for? A new Grizzly with spiral head is $1900, a spiral head is $800, so you’re getting it for under $300?
    Actually around $550. The Jet with Shelix head is $2900, which is where I'm making the comparison.

The noise actually isn't an issue for me at all, just something I've read other's comments about (i.e. louder than expected).
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

To the OP. After reading your last post with asking price of planer,I would definitely buy it. The only thing I thought of after my first post was,does this Jet have the motor on top or underneath the cutterhead ?My planer (Delta DC 380 ) has the motor on top. It makes it more interesting changing knives,not impossible just slightly more challenging. At the price you would pay for that planer including the helical head upgrade it is a pretty good deal. Especially when the purchases can be split if the budget requires it. This would be a big upgrade performance wise as well. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Endres View Post
    I have a Ridgid TP1300 'lunchbox' planer, which has served me well for 10+ years. I have extra blades and I am pretty meticulous about clean lumber, so it still cuts well. I have an opportunity to pick up a Jet JWP-15 planer, the generic 15" planer that a dozen different companies have sold and continue to sell. This is the model with the single-sided knives, not the newer one with 'quick-change' knives like my Ridgid has. I am a little concerned that this might not be a great investment, although the Jet planer is in good shape, clean and functional. I've read that it is unusually loud for a planer, it has a tendency to snipe badly, and the cut quality is not the best. On the other hand, it is wider than my current model, nice and heavy, and I can retrofit a Shelix head. Parts are also readily available - not so much so for the Ridgid. Finally, the price appears to be reasonable, less than half of what a new one sells for. If you were in this situation what would be your thoughts?
    I had a Delta 22-540 lunchbox planer that I used for about 20 years. I was content most of that time but then it became a little long in the tooth and even replacing parts wasn't lasting long. So I bought a Dewalt 735X. The noise was bone-rattling loud! Before every use I'd put in ear plugs and then don noise-cancelling headphones. It was still loud. It got so I dreaded using the 735. Though my neighbors commented on the noise, none complained but it bothered me they could hear it with their doors and windows closed.

A particularly difficult wood brought the 735 to its knees. I had to send it to Dewalt for repair. They lost it and sent me a new one. I took advantage of the added value of factory boxed planer and sold it. Then bit the bullet and bought a Hammer A3-31 with Silent Power cutterhead. I could hear myself think again! It's crazy quiet!

As to the one-sided straight knives on the JWP-15, you may not be happy after having the quick change knives. I had a 6" jointer with "manual set" knives and hated how long it took to get the knives set right. But I can often have the patience of a four-year old.

The tendency to snipe badly would be another concern for me. I conquered that with the Delta by building a mobile cart that had additional length infeed and outfeed tables. The outfeed side was about 36" long and really helped in eliminating any snipe. I also used adjustable height rollers with longer boards.

In the end I guess it depends on how much you're willing to tackle and how much time and money it will take to get the planer to work to your satisfaction.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Well, after reading comments here and elsewhere, and mulling it over for a while, I decided to let the Jet go and hold off until I can come up with a bit more cash. I am limited by the 13" width of my current planer and have had several occasions to need a few more inches. Adding 2" may not be enough. I think I am leaning toward either the Grizzly G0454Z (the 20" model with spiral cutterhead) or a new Woodmaster (also something I used to own and subsequently sold). I realize that either one is a huge $$$ increase from what I was considering, but I want something I will be happy with for the next 20 years or more.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Great decision Jon.

I had a Woodmaster, and the Grizzly planer planes considerably faster. The variable speed is nice, but can't keep up with the Grizzly. And you don't need a Byrd shelyx, the Grizzly cutterhead works great. The cast iron of the Grizzly seems to absorb the load easier than the sheet metal of the Woodmaster, and seems quieter as well, although I did not have both running at once, just an observation from running each separately in the same shop.