Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering replacing my planer - opinions?

Considering replacing my planer - opinions?

I have a Ridgid TP1300 'lunchbox' planer, which has served me well for 10+ years. I have extra blades and I am pretty meticulous about clean lumber, so it still cuts well. I have an opportunity to pick up a Jet JWP-15 planer, the generic 15" planer that a dozen different companies have sold and continue to sell. This is the model with the single-sided knives, not the newer one with 'quick-change' knives like my Ridgid has. I am a little concerned that this might not be a great investment, although the Jet planer is in good shape, clean and functional. I've read that it is unusually loud for a planer, it has a tendency to snipe badly, and the cut quality is not the best. On the other hand, it is wider than my current model, nice and heavy, and I can retrofit a Shelix head. Parts are also readily available - not so much so for the Ridgid. Finally, the price appears to be reasonable, less than half of what a new one sells for. If you were in this situation what would be your thoughts?
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I had a Jet 15" 4 post planer (straight knives) for years and ran the heck out of it. I liked it a lot and would not hesitate to get another one.

I'd definitely recommend a shelix head. With adding the head and the cost of the machine is there a significant savings over buying the same model new? I wouldn't own another planer without a shelix head due to noise and qaulity of cut. If it's a significant savings it sounds like a fun project.

Yes. The Shelix head is $800-ish and it will still be less than half of a new JWP-15HH. I've been saving for the Powermatic version, but aside from the cast iron extension tables and the color, I don't see much difference. The Shelix may have to wait a year or two though.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I just bought the Dewalt 735 and love it although I have nothing to compare it to.

I've owned that planer for some 20 years. It's a rock solid little bugger. It is loud, I'll give you that, but the snipe issue is resolved in the setup. Surface quality is a function of the knife care. It's not a Byrd head, so you have to pay attention to grain direction, but it can give a very nice surface if the blades are maintained.
    Jet 15" stationary, versus a bench top planer? I'd take the Jet.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

From my understanding a lot of those machines do come out of the same factory. They all will be built with some different specifications and higher standards of finish. I have a grizzly G1033 and have been pleased with it. Although I use it for a hobby. You can decrease a slot of snipe by infeed and out feed table shimming. I would say the planer would be a substantial upgrade to what your using.

The DeWalt 735 is a fine planer. Loud but I had one till I purchased the grizzly. I do like the disposal blades on it and they are set and go. You don't have to use a planer pal to set them.

As Mike says, you’ve only got one complaint right, the noise level. I don’t have extension wings on my 15HH and don’t get snipe and the cut quality is great especially with sharp knives. You just have to set it up properly, like any machine.

It’s a great little planer.

If you can buy the Jet and then upgrade to a byrd head for half the price of new ,yes I would definitely do that. Half price of what though ? Have you checked Grizzly prices ? Personally I have a Delta Dc380,it is made in China and has worked fine for the last ten years or so. I would not worry about brand on a 15'' four post planer,they are all pretty much the same.Good luck,Mike.

I have the Grizzly (G0453) version of the Jet planer. I could not go back to a lunchbox style planer anymore; I'm too spoiled on the Grizzly 15". I have the standard straight knives, not quick change. The planed surface is nice, and sands out easily.

After adjustment, snipe is minimal, much less than either the Powermatic or Delta lunchbox styles that I used to have. It is loud, but so are those little universal motor planers too. You need ear protection with either.

You can try running it with the standard knives and see how you like it. I have thought about upgrading my head, but have never really been able to justify it so far.

One thing to note is that good chip collection is important. If you have the collection hood on and you can't keep up, you will jam the head with chips, which is not pleasant to clean out.

If I was in your situation, I probably would snap it up, or look at the equivalent Grizzly model if you wanted to go new.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 12-01-2018 at 8:49 PM.

Why does the noise matter? It should only matter if you run it outside where neighbors complain. Any planer requires ear protection for everyone in the shop. For those planers the real question is how easy will it be to add dust collection.
    Bil lD.

I bought a Jet JP12-HH, which is a jointer/planer combo machine. I got it primarily because it provides a 12 inch jointer but I sold my TP1300 because I thought it would be redundant. I now regret that decision. I would like to have both. The Jet is much more powerful and the segmented spiral head does better with highly figured wood. On the other hand, the Ridgid with a digital readout is more accurate than the Jet. It also provides a little nicer finish on wood without figure. I could shave off .010 using the Ridgid but the Jet needs a deeper cut depth to remove marks from the infeed roller. I am happy with the Jet but I wish I had kept the TP1300 too.

How much are you getting the planer for? A new Grizzly with spiral head is $1900, a spiral head is $800, so you’re getting it for under $300? That’s a no brained.

Agreed about he comment about the noise, you’ll need heating protection with any planer.

Ive owned a Dewalt lunchbox planer ans a Jet 20” straight blade planer and all I can say, is it is very very easy to outgrow both those planers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Ive owned a Dewalt lunchbox planer ans a Jet 20” straight blade planer and all I can say, is it is very very easy to outgrow both those planers.
    Could you explain that please? Straight knife v spiral?