Thread: spoil board?

spoil board?

I am about to get my 4x8 CNC router up and running. I plan on using a 4X8 sheet of MDF for a spoilboard. My table is metal T-slots and I would like to keep the t-slots to clamp with when I want. What is the best way to mount my spoilboard to the metal? Drill into the metal and counter sink screws in MDF? How well will nylon screws hold? My last machine just had an MDF table so it was easy, I just flattened it, glued the 2 together and used a few screws. For some reason I am just drawing a blank on what to do with this one.

cnc3a.jpg
    cnc4.jpg
    cnc2.jpg
    Last edited by bobby milam; 12-01-2018 at 9:37 PM. Reason: add pictures

I use nylon screws to hold the 1/2" MDF to the 3/4" MDF and it has paid off a half dozen times. Went a little too deep and cut right through a few screw heads a few times. No harm, no foul.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Nylon screws are a darn good idea for this application for the reason that David mentions.

As to how best to arrange things, it might be helpful for you to post photos of the native table setup for the machine you're taking delivery of, particularly since you are interested in maintaining access to (at least some of) your tee slots for clamping purposes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I took some pictures and placed on the first post. Still in the process of getting this thing wired in and should have it up and going tomorrow and ready to install a spoilboard.

No vacuum?

One solution is to glue down your spoilboard and use the machine to cut slots centered over your tee-tracks so that they can be used. That's the method I used for my own machine. Note I cut the slots with a .375 end mill to a depth just shy of the track and cleaned out the "onion skin" with a sharp knife.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

With all them t tracks I would cut the strips to the width want on table saw and glue on. Lot less of head ach.

No Martin, I went without the vacuum table. I guess I'll be gluing it on. Thanks everyone.

Do you just lay the spoilboard on there with some glue and weight it down with whatever you have around? I could see myself over complicating this task like laying the spoilboard on the bed over the tracks, poking four holes in the corners to then hold the spoil board down with some t nuts so I could mill interrupted slots (perforations) over the t tracks, then remove the spoil, apply glue, and t nuts in the slots and maybe some crude cauls for clamping it down lol.

After all that I'd likely abandon the idea, glue, and cinder blocks, bags of dog food, anything heavy, and just go on.

That's what I am going to do, just clean, glue, mount MDF and then start adding weight on top. I'll machine out some of the t slots later. Right now, I've got power to the machine and trying to figure out the software to have the computer connected at the moment.