Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impossible cabinet doors

Question Impossible cabinet doors

Hello everyone,

I've been reading lots of posts in your forums and thought you might have the answer to this question.

One of my customers sent me a photo of a very large pair of cabinet doors:
    huge cabinet door.jpg

She wants something similar, but with the grain running vertically. The size of each door would be 94" x 24". (She would willing to split them into a pair of 73" doors and 21" doors.)

Everything I've seen on here tells me that it would be insane to make this out of wood due to the likelihood of warping... especially because it will have a fireplace on one side and a big glass door looking over a river on the other side.

Is there another way to do this and still use the hidden European-style hinges? Maybe a metal frame with veneer? And if so, can you recommend someone to do it and ship it to me?

Thank you!

[Edit: oops, I posted this in the wrong category. My apologies, this is the first time I've used a forum. I'd like to hear your replies though.]
    Last edited by Arthur Teel; 12-01-2018 at 9:30 AM.

Not sure, but what about high grade plywood, perhaps with stiffeners to resist the warping? Maybe mdf "plywood" (this can be made by companies that make plywood for architectural projects). -Howard

Yeah, solid lumber would be a challenge. I'd use veneer on some sort of manmade substrate - plywood, MDF, etc.

There are cup hinges made for thick doors. For instance Blum has ones spec'd for 1 3/16". Other manufacturers may have thicker ones. For doors this size, thicker is better. That's why the usual interior people-door is 1 3/8" thick. It resists warpage better than thinner doors.

In my mind those doors aren't all that large, nor are they doomed to warp. House doors are usually at least 36" wide x 80" tall; some much, much larger. There are lots of ways to go about making doors that will fit your needs, and if you don't want to make them yourself I suggest you go talk to a local company that makes house doors. There are several on the internet, too, that will make custom house doors and ship them to you.

John

Cabinet doors like that are more often then not made of veneer sheet goods and are less prone to warping. Making them from solid stock would be a challenge for any number of reasons, but would also likely require embedding some steel to keep them flat. Doable, but why do it when stable sheet goods and amazing veneer is available to work with?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Where in the world do you live. You could take a hollow core door and just glue wood over it . or weld a steel frame and screw/glue wood onto it. What makes you think those doors are solid wood and not veneered. You could probably buy a tabletop and cut it to fit.
    Bill D.

3/4 - 1” mdf with a 3/8 solid wood edge then veneer over it and flush trim. Euro hinges will work no problem.

Or even more easy but not quite as nice but pretty standard for the cabinetry industry would be mdf core veered stock then edge band.

They will stay flat if they start flat and are stored flat till installation.

Patrick nailed it.

Those aren't a big deal at all. Probably four hinges per door and you're set

We do doors like this often and as said before they are not an issue. Ultralight MDF with hardwood edging and veneer works well, or the above stated MDF core plywood with the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    We do doors like this often and as said before they are not an issue. Ultralight MDF with hardwood edging and veneer works well, or the above stated MDF core plywood with the same.
    Ok. I'll take the bait - what is ultralight MDF and where would I buy it? Thank you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ok. I'll take the bait - what is ultralight MDF and where would I buy it? Thank you!

At a hardwood / plywood supplier, like Edensaw Woods, Architectural Lumber, Continental Hardwoods .

Or go to a local custom cabinet maker in your area and ask them to order it from their supplier.

If you had your location listed in the upper RH corner that would be helpful to answer the where do I buy it question.
    You could be any where in the world , so the answer to your question has much to do about location.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    At a hardwood / plywood supplier, like Edensaw Woods, Architectural Lumber, Continental Hardwoods .

Or go to a local custom cabinet maker in your area and ask them to order it from their supplier.

If you had your location listed in the upper RH corner that would be helpful to answer the where do I buy it question.
    You could be any where in the world , so the answer to your question has much to do about location.
    Thank you Paul. I'm stateside. I can find it with your leads. Appreciate the help!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Teel View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've been reading lots of posts in your forums and thought you might have the answer to this question.

One of my customers sent me a photo of a very large pair of cabinet doors:
    huge cabinet door.jpg

She wants something similar, but with the grain running vertically. The size of each door would be 94" x 24". (She would willing to split them into a pair of 73" doors and 21" doors.)

Everything I've seen on here tells me that it would be insane to make this out of wood due to the likelihood of warping... especially because it will have a fireplace on one side and a big glass door looking over a river on the other side.

Is there another way to do this and still use the hidden European-style hinges? Maybe a metal frame with veneer? And if so, can you recommend someone to do it and ship it to me?

Thank you!

[Edit: oops, I posted this in the wrong category. My apologies, this is the first time I've used a forum. I'd like to hear your replies though.]

MDF core , veneered on both sides , I say buy it veneered rather than laying up your own veneer, as my guess is that you are asking this question you are not a professional tradesman, and some of the answer to your question are geared toward more experienced woodworkers than a hobbyist / DIY’er.

I’d suggest going to the 73” H door with the 21” H door above it. The 24” wide should not be a issue with MDF core veneered at the factory sheet goods. I’d edge band it with PVC edge banding , IF you have access to a edge banding machine. If NOT you could use iron on edge banding in the same species as the face of the good.

I’d put three hinges on the 72” H door and two on the 21” door. If you decide to go with the 94” H door four hinges will work.

If you are really worried about warping you could use one of the catches bellow on the top and bottom corners.

You can embed a rare earth magnet in the doors themself under the veneer.

https://www.hafele.com/us/en/product...14e9d00010023/

Any good sheetgoods supplier should be able to help you.

Used these guys a few months ago. They were great!

https://www.formwood.com

Not sure if they would do something for just two sheets but?

Buy the veneer and do it yourself if you are setup. If not your better off subbing it out. Plus if you don’t do it a lot you could end up laying up and worping a panel pretty easy.

http://mbveneer.com
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 12-01-2018 at 1:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thank you Paul. I'm stateside. I can find it with your leads. Appreciate the help!
    Fred
    You’re welcome.
    Be warned the big suppliers , generally, won’t sell to any Joe Blow off the street, they want a tax ID number , business lisence type info. Of the three I listed I believe only Edensaw sells to John Q. Public and they are locate in Port Townsend , Wa. So unless you live in the PNW going to pick it up presents issues. BUT I believe they ship nation wide, but I’m also sure that adds shipping costs!