Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sandblasting and media info

I haven't tried it but I have seen others sandblast glass to etch patterns into it. I've even seen mirrors done where they blast away the back with reverse lettering and put a light behind it to make a sign. It seams a little more aggressive than acid etching but I suspect that's more a function of the media and pressure. It also seams more consistent than acid. By simply using a foam tape and an exacto knife they cut out the pattern. It needs to be thicker glass. I have a feeling that if I got into an artistic mood I could make some real nice cabinet doors with the glass.

likely ive asked you what you are doing and maybe I missed you showing something. If you are doing dirty parts then a cheap medium would be fine and throw away. If you are doing clean parts or cleaning greasy ones you will be fine to reuse the medium depending on that it is, some are sharper than others and when they break down are still sharp just smaller from impact. If you use a pressure blaster more bang for your buck. If you use a sharper medium more cut. If you go too coarse then you have more texture to your surface you balance that out, car guys dont go too coarse depending on the finish going on whatever it is.