Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandblasting and media info

Sandblasting and media info

Hi all wondering if anyone here had experience with sandblasting equipment.

I have access to a cabinet that recirculates the media and everything needed. The equipment is not setup and I’m pretty much on my own to figure out how to set it up. Im sure that should not be to hard but any advise offered would be appreciated.

I know to wear proper breathing apparatus even with the cabinet when working with glass bead or crushed glass. I also know to tape off all machined and working parts or they will get ruined.

Mostly what I don’t know is what is the appropriate media to strip all the pain of cast iron parts vrs aluminum parts vrs knurled parts yada yada yada.

Any insight appreciated.

I can't help you on the media, but my wife uses a blasting cabinet with some of her artwork. A couple things to consider. First is dust extraction. Those cabinets get dusty in a hurry and it gets impossible to see your work. Second is a good light inside for the same reason. My wife uses a magnetic based florescent light on the outside of the glass panel that helps but not perfect.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

The biggest impact on sand blasting is AIR. You need at least a 5hp compressor that puts out high air volume.

For most metal processing use 'black beauty' blasting grit. Pretty coarse/aggressive, but sounds like what you need. For fine detailed work a glass bead is better. And for very sensitive work walnut shells.

The biggest thing though is air. And 'dry' air, else the moisture makes the sand sticky and the siphon doesnt pull well.

I've used the silicon carbide grit. For a finer grit I got the stuff used for blast cleaning spark plugs, found at the Auto Parts store. (I used it for etching artwork onto clear glass.) I haven't tried the glass beads. For specific materials, I'd try to find some junk pieces and test. Maybe ask a fab shop.

I assume you've already done a web search but if not, Google seems happy to provide reading material:
    https://www.pittsburghsprayequip.com...omplete-guide/
    http://www.yourepair.com/205/sandbla...-or-paint.html
    https://www.kramerindustriesonline.c...lection-guide/
    https://www.graco.com/us/en/contract...-abrasive.html
    https://www.sharrettsplating.com/blo...lasting-media/

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Hi all wondering if anyone here had experience with sandblasting equipment.

I have access to a cabinet that recirculates the media and everything needed. The equipment is not setup and I’m pretty much on my own to figure out how to set it up. Im sure that should not be to hard but any advise offered would be appreciated.

I know to wear proper breathing apparatus even with the cabinet when working with glass bead or crushed glass. I also know to tape off all machined and working parts or they will get ruined.

Mostly what I don’t know is what is the appropriate media to strip all the pain of cast iron parts vrs aluminum parts vrs knurled parts yada yada yada.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Yes I found those links. I the. Figured why not ask and see if I could find some sedond ha f first hand opinions from others of whom maybe I had seen a thing or two they had done prior as a point of reference.

As suggested I will run test samples of everything. I also watched a couple videos and read the above articles suggesting light and vacuume. I could be wrong but I feel like the cabinet I have access to recirculates the media. In this case I wonder if that is the same as a vacuum. I would kinda think so being how else does it get pulled out of the cabinet eat other than a constant suction?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've used the silicon carbide grit. For a finer grit I got the stuff used for blast cleaning spark plugs, found at the Auto Parts store. (I used it for etching artwork onto clear glass.) I haven't tried the glass beads. For specific materials, I'd try to find some junk pieces and test. Maybe ask a fab shop.

I assume you've already done a web search but if not, Google seems happy to provide reading material:
    https://www.pittsburghsprayequip.com...omplete-guide/
    http://www.yourepair.com/205/sandbla...-or-paint.html
    https://www.kramerindustriesonline.c...lection-guide/
    https://www.graco.com/us/en/contract...-abrasive.html
    https://www.sharrettsplating.com/blo...lasting-media/

We keep a rugged crushed glass (Scat Blast) in our cabinet 99% of the time. It is a good "all purpose" media that we use for everything from zinc die castings to stainless steel parts. We purchase ours from TIP Tools in Canton, OH. They are a good source for lots of blasting related stuff.
    Last edited by Lisa Starr; 12-01-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added name of media

To do any volume you usually want a pressure blast cabinet and lots of air. A 15-25 hp compressor is not overkill. You can do smaller jobs or work. slowly but then die grinders and wire wheels work about as fast with less hassle. Dave

Sand or silicon carbide requires breathing protection as well. To recirculate just use a syphon gun with a dip tube into the bottom of the cabinet. Harbor Fright actually sells some blasting media and gun parts. A pressure system will work about 2x faster then siphon.
    Use a hepa filter if you use a vacuum cleaner. Shield view port and light with cheap disposable plastic covers like handiwrap or report covers from the office store.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I could be wrong but I feel like the cabinet I have access to recirculates the media. In this case I wonder if that is the same as a vacuum.
    Some use a vacuum, some simply have a hopper to collect and reuse.

This is a pretty slick setup.

It’s my uncles whom restores antique cars. He purchased it moons ago and never used it.

It’s pretty slick I’ll get pictures Monday as it’s at work. There is a huge diamond plate case that holds two units. I guess one is a mobile unit and one is the unit to hook up to the cabinet that recirculates the media. In such a case will I still need a vacuum to keep the dust at bay so I can see what I’m doing?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Some use a vacuum, some simply have a hopper to collect and reuse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Harbor Fright actually sells some blasting media and gun parts.
    I was surprised at the variety of media that HF stocks.
    NOW you tell me...

You can't successfully blast without dust collection and separation. It sounds like there is a reasonable chance you have that capability as there are 2 units. It will be interesting to see the pictures. Does it have a brand?

Our cabinet blaster users the dust extractor to provide the air flow for the separation of dust and blast medium. If you don't have dust extraction you can't see what you are doing, you lose efficiency rapidly and you end up with dust embedded in the surface of the object. The last one sounds impossible until you find out that grit leaves the nozzle at close to the speed of sound.

Choice of blast medium depends on what you want to achieve. Soft metal needs finer grit size. Thick paint needs coarser blast profile. Removing paint requires sharp angular grit. A smooth peened object requires shot or beads. We use garnet in the full size blast chamber as it is available in various grades and can be used on both ferrous and non ferrous substrates. It is fast cutting and recyclable. The cabinet blaster uses steel shot as we only use it for peening steel castings.

You are dead right about breathing protection. An air fed helmet is mandatory. Here it has been illegal to use silica media for about 40 years as silicosis was the common way for blasters to die. However, you need to protect yourself from all the unknown paints and other rubbish you are removing as well. Cheers

I use a small siphon feed system for blasting holes in glass plate in a production process. I modified it for efficiency and worker comfort.

Install enough lighting to ensure you can see what you are doing.

Dust collection can be done with a simple shop vac, however some modification is necessary. Any shop vac that uses exhaust air to cool the motor will have a short life because the grit that doesn't get collected will go thru the motor, eating it alive. This can be avoided with a small cyclone mounted on a 5 gallon bucket between the cabinet and the vac. Mine has lasted for many years set up that way.

Provide clean make up air back into the cabinet. I did this with a filtered opening near the viewing window. If you do it right, the flow of fresh across the window will make for a clear view.

Hope this helps.

OP may want to post this in the metal working forum.

I use silica sand in my blast cabinet, it's hooked up to my 3hp dust gorilla for dust removal.
    Got rid of all the 1/4" air hose and fittings. Replaced with 1/2" then plumbed it into my 100cfm IR gas powered compessor.

No problems anymore.

Ed