Thread: Target Coatings WR4000 Stain

Target Coatings WR4000 Stain

Hello, I can almost always find answers to my questions on here but haven’t seen much on the WR4000 stain. I’m using it for the first time and like it quite a bit. I have a question for those of you that use it. I applied it with a foam brush and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then wiped it off. It’s now been about 30 hours and if I wipe it with a dry shop towel, I’m still getting some color on it. Did I let it sit too long when I applied it which is causing it to take a long time to dry or is it dry and I’m just wiping off some of the color? My shop has been 60-73 degrees over that period of time. The can is vague but says it can be topcoated in 2 hours. I just really don’t want my top coats to fail bc they aren’t dry enough. I also have a call into Target Coatings and am waiting to hear back.

Ok, just talked to Jeff at Target Coatings. He said that’s normal for some color to transfer. He said they are dye based so I will get some lifting of the color until I seal it. So good to go!

thanks for the info planning on giving this stain a try on next project

If the color can be lifted, it would likely contaminate the liquid finish you are applying. A good practice (which I follow infrequently) is to pour off enough for the current project into a separate container.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Yep, that’s great advice. I spray my finishes so not as big of a deal for me.