Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Network Scam

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I would look for somewhere other than Best Buy....
    ...Obviously the "Tech" had no idea what he was doing.
    Second that. I'd say I was surprised he'd done that, but I'm not.
    Not that long ago I was looking at a new SSD hard drive at one, and the "geek" counter was right nearby. The things I heard them saying to customers had me cringing, and I wasn't there all that long. I'd recommend against using them, at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The computer is running clean this morning. So far so good.
    Yeah and good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I would look for somewhere other than Best Buy....I bought a laptop there and, while it was still under warranty, I took it in because the left click button on the touchpad was getting intermittent. All that was needed was to replace the touchpad. They asked me when I dropped it off it I wanted all the data backed up. I said no because it was a simple hardware issue. I've been repairing machines for 42 years so I know a bit about what was needed. I would have done it myself but since it was a warranty issue I took it in. All that would be needed is, turn the laptop off, replace the touchpad, and turn it on again. When I went to pick it up and they started it to show me the button worked now and the icons on the screen were reset back to "out of the box condition". Everything I had on the laptop was gone!. I was a "little" snarly with him and he said "We did ask if you wanted the data backed up". I told him there was no reason at all to touch software when you and replacing something like a touchpad . Obviously the "Tech" had no idea what he was doing. It's like taking your car in for a new tire and they wipe out all your GPS data and radio presets. sorry for the rant but in my mind there is better places to get computers fixed than Best Buy.
    never underestimate their ability to mess things up. Its one of those 'gotcha" moments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    never underestimate their ability to mess things up. Its one of those 'gotcha" moments.
    The Best Buy story reminds me of a sidewalk sign for a computer repair shop in University Ave. in Berkeley, CA. Among the claims for their service one line always made me laugh, "On Side Service."

It always made me wondering if they also did a little 'washing of money' on the side.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    There are some booby trapped sites and email that look quite authentic. We got one claiming to be from Chase. Because we had Chase services it would have been easy to go 'click'. I use Thunderbird and one of the useful features is that when I hover over an email link, it shows what the link actually points to. In my case it pointed to a site in Eastern Europe or Russia. I forwarded the attempted scam to Chase along with a note that I would have expected a company like Chase to have their own domain, not be using one in Eastern Europe.

Good that your email does that but don't they all? Outlook certainly does. As does Gmail.

Blog Entries
    The computer is virus free and stable.

Blog Entries
    The computer is clean and running good.

Blog Entries
    Look for a place that just repairs computers and nothing else. Chains aren't very fussy in their hiring. I still remember an employee at Radio Shack pontificating to another customer about how many milliamps are in an ohm. I just had to stop and listen to see how it would come out. Sorry folks, I don't remember but he made it sort of plausible.

Blog Entries
    One of my sons is a computer whiz and he fixed for me. It has no vices at this time.

Blog Entries
    Five days later and the computer is running good.

Blog Entries
    I still remember an employee at Radio Shack pontificating to another customer about how many milliamps are in an ohm.
    In my former job occasionally someone would come up to me and ask about getting a job at BART. (Bay Area Rapid Transit for those not from the San Francisco area) My response would be to ask them if they knew Ohms law. One of them said sure, but he never broke it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So whats everyone using for virus protection these days?
    What good? Whats not?

13. If you have a microsoft license, you must call the support and the problem will be solved
    “When you can’t find the sunshine, be the sunshine”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The Best Buy story reminds me of a sidewalk sign for a computer repair shop in University Ave. in Berkeley, CA. Among the claims for their service one line always made me laugh, "On Side Service."

It always made me wondering if they also did a little 'washing of money' on the side.

jtk
    I remember christmas season adds for Ralphs electronics in Berkeley "no snow, but lots of flakes"