Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Network Scam

Blog Entries

Microsoft Network Scam

I turned om my computer this morning and a red screen popped up stating it was Microsoft Network and I had an
    infection. I was to go to the site to have it purged.

I shut the computer off and re-booted.
    Guess what, no infection.

I just thought I would mention it.

Unfortunately, the fact that you saw that message without doing anything tells me you still have a problem. Whatever generated that message is still there - unless you have left some details of the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I turned om my computer this morning and a red screen popped up stating it was Microsoft Network and I had an
    infection. I was to go to the site to have it purged.

I shut the computer off and re-booted.
    Guess what, no infection.

I just thought I would mention it.
    Sorry Lowell but you still have something going on with your computer. Run the scan using malwarebytes or other or let someone knowledgeable do it.

Lowell, as I mentioned in your previous thread and Chuck just reiterated...you need to get some pro help with your machine as you have an unbelievable and constant number of issues that keep on coming and coming. It needs serious attention from someone who knows how to deal with malware.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I scanned the computer with malwarebytes. It cleaned the computer.

lowell, The computer is probably not cleaned....there is still something causing the problem..you meed someone with more computer savvy. likely you will repost in a few days with another problem

Blog Entries
    If that happens, I will take it to Best Buy and let their tech handle it.

Sounds like a wise idea to me Lowell.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Was this cleaning before or after the unexpected screen appearance?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is, what, the third one of these posts in the past week Lowell? Clearly your computer has been compromised.

Besides bringing it to Best Buy or other pro service, make sure you get educated on what NOT to be clicking on and downloading. There is a lot of click bait out there which is most likely where these viruses are coming from.

Blog Entries
    After and the computer is running clean now.

Blog Entries
    After and the computer is running clean now.
    That sounds like you may be fine.

As Matt mentioned, be careful on what you click. Some of those sites that have the interesting stories have so many scam ads on their pages that are easily clicked in error when just trying to get to the next page in a never ending story about how a guy saves a bear and ends up with a box of kittens. They are not worth it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That sounds like you may be fine.

As Matt mentioned, be careful on what you click. Some of those sites that have the interesting stories have so many scam ads on their pages that are easily clicked in error when just trying to get to the next page in a never ending story about how a guy saves a bear and ends up with a box of kittens. They are not worth it.

jtk
    There are some booby trapped sites and email that look quite authentic. We got one claiming to be from Chase. Because we had Chase services it would have been easy to go 'click'. I use Thunderbird and one of the useful features is that when I hover over an email link, it shows what the link actually points to. In my case it pointed to a site in Eastern Europe or Russia. I forwarded the attempted scam to Chase along with a note that I would have expected a company like Chase to have their own domain, not be using one in Eastern Europe.

I would look for somewhere other than Best Buy....I bought a laptop there and, while it was still under warranty, I took it in because the left click button on the touchpad was getting intermittent. All that was needed was to replace the touchpad. They asked me when I dropped it off it I wanted all the data backed up. I said no because it was a simple hardware issue. I've been repairing machines for 42 years so I know a bit about what was needed. I would have done it myself but since it was a warranty issue I took it in. All that would be needed is, turn the laptop off, replace the touchpad, and turn it on again. When I went to pick it up and they started it to show me the button worked now and the icons on the screen were reset back to "out of the box condition". Everything I had on the laptop was gone!. I was a "little" snarly with him and he said "We did ask if you wanted the data backed up". I told him there was no reason at all to touch software when you and replacing something like a touchpad . Obviously the "Tech" had no idea what he was doing. It's like taking your car in for a new tire and they wipe out all your GPS data and radio presets. sorry for the rant but in my mind there is better places to get computers fixed than Best Buy.

Blog Entries
    The computer is running clean this morning. So far so good.